cuting fiberglass? sound system >

cuting fiberglass? sound system

Notices

cuting fiberglass? sound system

Old 10-07-2008, 12:28 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 162 Likes on 69 Posts
Default cuting fiberglass? sound system

i would like to put a sound system in my boat but the speaker shops wont way to much to install it. whats the best way to go about cutting and placing the spkers? i have a 2000 baja 25 outlaw. i am only 21 and new to the go fast boat seen any help would be great!
Old 10-07-2008, 01:53 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 129 Likes on 65 Posts

measure twice, cut once!!!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 765 Likes on 413 Posts

I'm getting ready to add some oversized speakers myself. At the suggestion of a few people that have done this before, I am going to use a tile bit on a Dremel to cut out the speaker openings. Use blue 3M painters masking tape over the fiberglass areas you intended to cut.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I'm getting ready to add some oversized speakers myself. At the suggestion of a few people that have done this before, I am going to use a tile bit on a Dremel to cut out the speaker openings. Use blue 3M painters masking tape over the fiberglass areas you intended to cut.
Make sure to use ear plugs and a dust mask!
Old 10-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

it's a lot easier to make a hole bigger than it is to make one smaller...
Old 10-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phragle
it's a lot easier to make a hole bigger than it is to make one smaller...
That's what she said.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Registered

Default Roto Zip

I have added alot of holes in my Chriscraft, with a rotozip and the plastic bit. Just make sure you are set too deep and cut away. it will torque on you so go slow and you wont have any trouble.

Good Luck!
Old 10-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Registered

I have used air powered roto zip to make the holes in boats. Like above said dust mask and long sleeves helps in the itch department. I am pretty allergic to fiberglass and break out when I get even close to dust. Another tip is is don't take a hot shower afterwards to get dust off, hot water opens pores and makes it worst. Cold shower is the way to go when you are done. Damn I am itchy just typing this.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:29 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 162 Likes on 69 Posts

any worries about the clear coat on the boat. its a solid yellow hull and and doesnt have a jell coat. i am having a spot fixed were the clear is messed up, and i am thinking about having them cut the hols for me for 2 12" subs and 2 more 6.5". whats a few more dollers for no headake and i know it will be done right.

the boat is geting wet sanded buffed, 3 nicks fixed ( 2 from wildlife and fish), and a spot recleared. whats a good price for all that i was gussing 2000-2500. if i didnt point out the problems you coldnt see them but i am stopping a problem befor it gets worse. is this a bad idea to have all that done. i am new to all this, and i just wont to keep my boat looking good and clean as i can.

Last edited by caseyh; 10-07-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,993 Likes on 995 Posts

How does your Baja not have Gel Coat???? Baja's only use in gel graphics with some special order exceptions where the graphics get painted. If the entire boat is yellow, its probably yellow gel coat. It could have been cleared over, but I highly doubt it. Either way, It has to have gel coat even if it is painted or cleared over.

Speaker holes are nothing to cut. You can use a sabre saw with a scroll bit, roto zip, dremmel, etc. Its really no different than cutting wood other than the fiberglass is a lot harder.

Quick Reply: cuting fiberglass? sound system

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.