Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Re-Doing Engine Compartment Bilge Paint/Coating advice needed.?? >

Re-Doing Engine Compartment Bilge Paint/Coating advice needed.??

Notices

Re-Doing Engine Compartment Bilge Paint/Coating advice needed.??

Old 05-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-Doing Engine Compartment Bilge Paint/Coating advice needed.??

To all paint and restoration experts. I have a 93 37' Baja and have pulled my motors for some work. I wanted to redo the engine compartment as in refinish it. New paint or other coating. Right now It's grey bilge paint. I would like to go with a brighter, cleaner surface. Anything better than just bilge paint short of gel coating the surface. Something that may go down with a hard surface but smooth and easy to keep clean.

All opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We just redid ours with Awlgrip Cloud White. It is about $450 a gallon but looks great and should be very tough. First we sanded everything with 120 grit and then wipe it all down with mineral spirits. Mixed paint with hardener and brushing additive. Rolled it on with a small 1" dia roller and touched up corners with a sponge brush. Drys in about 16 hrs
Old 05-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

No expert but I hear this stuff is great.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ux+-+Bilgekote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Registered

I just used Bilgecoat from West Marine. It comes in Gray and White. I used the white and it looks great. Two quarts did my Hammer at a cost of $75v total.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I used the "Brightside" .....turned out great and has held up well .......m

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...e+Polyurethane
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Registered

Pics ...... I reworked the stringers and bulkhead and actually paid a guy to Gelcoat the Bilge and it looked like he took a bucket of Gelcoat and threw it in there ..... we ground it all down and painted it .....much better ......m
Attached Thumbnails Re-Doing Engine Compartment Bilge Paint/Coating advice needed.??-dsc00199.jpg   Re-Doing Engine Compartment Bilge Paint/Coating advice needed.??-dsc00203.jpg   Re-Doing Engine Compartment Bilge Paint/Coating advice needed.??-dsc00204.jpg  

Old 05-31-2009, 11:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offthefront
Pics ...... I reworked the stringers and bulkhead and actually paid a guy to Gelcoat the Bilge and it looked like he took a bucket of Gelcoat and threw it in there ..... we ground it all down and painted it .....much better ......m
Offthefront.

What did you end up painting it with. ???
I spoke to Interlux several times and what I ended up getting in was the EpoxyPrimeKote product. their Tech guys said it would work great in the bilge and even be a harder paint than the Bilgekote product. ?? Interesting comments since they make Bilgekote made for painting Bilges. !!!! So I have put down 2 coats. I am starting to Re -Rig engine compartment now so I will be able to tell sonn how duarable the paint is.
I'll let everyone know.

The paint always looks good without dropping parts and tools on it.!!!!

Thanks for all the input.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cocktails
Offthefront.

What did you end up painting it with. ???
I spoke to Interlux several times and what I ended up getting in was the EpoxyPrimeKote product. their Tech guys said it would work great in the bilge and even be a harder paint than the Bilgekote product. ?? Interesting comments since they make Bilgekote made for painting Bilges. !!!! So I have put down 2 coats. I am starting to Re -Rig engine compartment now so I will be able to tell sonn how duarable the paint is.
I'll let everyone know.

The paint always looks good without dropping parts and tools on it.!!!!

Thanks for all the input.
Post #5 .... I used "Brightside" .... Its an epoxy but single step ..... I think its held up well ........m
Old 05-31-2009, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awlgrip for a long lasting easy to clean up bilge. Bilge coat looks good when first applied but is very porous and over time will suck up oil and dirt and look old. Awlgrip can be had from MSD for $210 Gallon (Snow White) plus hardener, approx $50 bucks.