Notices

glass dave

Old 11-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glass dave

how is the apache scout comming along you are doing ?
post some pictures please
Old 11-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dave anytime you post pictures of your work they are just incredible and inspiring!! Look forward to seeing pictures, I must have read your thread about filling dash holes about 20 times LOL. It was extremely informative and step by step, couldn't ask for anything better
Old 11-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

I think this winter might the winter of new mega project threads . Got a couple boats that I'd like to do some big 'ol threads on like i use to. 20 Cig rest-mod, 38 Cig makeover, 36 Skater damage a Velocity and the Apache to name a few. Would also like to do one on the repair i did to the race boat and a few other repairs i have done recently. I would also like to do a detailed on on repairing color/graphics in the middle of an open area and how to handle the blend line (seem to get a lot of PM's on that). Tell ya the truth I am frigin crazy busy and havnt had the time to sit down and author up. I got in the habit of waiting till the end of a project before starting anything, its easier and better to just find a night and get on at two a.m. and start a project thread without any interruption in the first few pages.

sometimes things get done lol . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
I think this winter might the winter of new mega project threads . Got a couple boats that I'd like to do some big 'ol threads on like i use to. 20 Cig rest-mod, 38 Cig makeover, 36 Skater damage a Velocity and the Apache to name a few. Would also like to do one on the repair i did to the race boat and a few other repairs i have done recently. I would also like to do a detailed on on repairing color/graphics in the middle of an open area and how to handle the blend line (seem to get a lot of PM's on that). Tell ya the truth I am frigin crazy busy and havnt had the time to sit down and author up. I got in the habit of waiting till the end of a project before starting anything, its easier and better to just find a night and get on at two a.m. and start a project thread without any interruption in the first few pages.

sometimes things get done lol . . . .
I believe I can speak for everyone in saying that we all look forward to the threads Dave! Sounds like your busy which is awesome it is nice to see good people staying busy and making an honest living. As I have mentioned to you over the phone Dave you should open up another shop down here in Florida with your reputation I would be willing to bet your business would probably doube,triple, hell quadriple lol.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver
I believe I can speak for everyone in saying that we all look forward to the threads Dave! Sounds like your busy which is awesome it is nice to see good people staying busy and making an honest living. As I have mentioned to you over the phone Dave you should open up another shop down here in Florida with your reputation I would be willing to bet your business would probably doube,triple, hell quadriple lol.
I'm about at the point where i may hafta bring back a shop helper, it hasnt been easy but i havnt been this busy in a a few years. Odd stuff though like motor homes, saw a lot of quick collision jobs and ins. stuff this summer. Now boats pulled out of service for bigger winter projects. A lot of shops have not survived and truth be told i have had my share of juggling matches but if ya do good work and keep yourself out of the corner you can keep busy. I was at the IBEX show a month or so ago and i realized something. While there may have been a drop in available work out there, there are fewer shops left to do them. I'm not breaking any records but i am pretty steady and have work scheduled through most of the winter. Florida would be great but i really like boating on the great lakes plus i need the six months off to fix all the stuff i broke in the summer lol.

I really would like to do a book some day. Like one of those HP how-to series with projects chronicled from start to finish with all the details. Materials, time, process, tips , techniques or special tools etc. all the good stuff. All the books i see out there now on the subject lack the step by step and seem to me like catalogs of materials without any real guidance. I think most of the do-it-yourselfers really just want to see different projects from start to finish with a nice run down on the particulars. A lot of this isnt rocket science, a lot of it is just staying out of trouble with products and grunt work lol.

Last edited by glassdave; 11-18-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Registered

You know Dave you just brought up a good point about making a book. To be honest with you I don't know of any good books or videos that show you step by step on how to fix things when it comes to fiberglass. I'll tell you one thing if you do decide to write a book I know myself along with A LOT of people will purchase it. I don't know if you have a website or not but have you thought about a website where people have to pay for a yearly membership and basically you post a bunch of videos with exact details on how to do fiberglass work? Kind of like youtube except obviously you need to make a living too so maybe charge a fee yearly. For myself I find it better when someone explains it in a video and shows step by step (that's just me though). It definitely would be a another nice revenue for you.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave its always nice to read what you have to say,you help a lot of people with there problems including me,thank you very much for all your help to me and all the others on oso.thanks again Dave for all your help.Mike
Old 11-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver
You know Dave you just brought up a good point about making a book. To be honest with you I don't know of any good books or videos that show you step by step on how to fix things when it comes to fiberglass. I'll tell you one thing if you do decide to write a book I know myself along with A LOT of people will purchase it. I don't know if you have a website or not but have you thought about a website where people have to pay for a yearly membership and basically you post a bunch of videos with exact details on how to do fiberglass work? Kind of like youtube except obviously you need to make a living too so maybe charge a fee yearly. For myself I find it better when someone explains it in a video and shows step by step (that's just me though). It definitely would be a another nice revenue for you.

Yea i was thinking it might be cool to accompany the book with maybe a DVD. I was thinking real world projects like transom/stringer replacement, filling/moving dash holes, basic complete resprays that kinda stuff with all the tips and tricks. Maybe a chapter on materials but the rest step by step how-to's. Funny thing is there's ten ways to do everything in this biz though. I dont have a website and i may put one together someday soon but dont really want it to be a pay type thing. To be honest i came to this site for social reasons and like it that way, i actually enjoy the tech line plus its how i give a little back because i get a lot out of this place as well plus i really do like talking about boats.

anytime ext2gtx

Last edited by glassdave; 11-18-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
Yea i was thinking it might be cool to accompany the book with maybe a DVD. I was thinking real world projects like transom/stringer replacement, filling/moving dash holes, basic complete resprays that kinda stuff with all the tips and tricks. Maybe a chapter on materials but the rest step by step how-to's. Funny thing is there's ten ways to do everything in this biz though. I dont have a website and i may put one together someday soon but dont really want it to be a pay type thing. To be honest i came to this site for social reasons and like it that way, i actually enjoy the tech line plus its how i give a little back because i get a lot out of this place as well plus i really do like talking about boats.

anytime ext2gtx
PLEASE seriously consider doing a book with a DVD. I'm like a normal do it yourself type of guy and anytime you ask anyone at a fiberglass shop how to do something they tell you just generic things but they never tell you EXACTLY in detail how to do it which would help tremendously. For example I've always asked people when their doing stringers what do they do to get the stringers to stay in place while you fiberglass? Do you glue them down with something? Do you hold them? Things like that, the typical answer you get is cut out the old stringer and put a new one in, well that's fine but how EXACTLY do you put that new one in, everytime you start a thread you tell us exactly how to do it and we appreciate that. SERIOUSLY consider doing a book with a DVD we would all definitely benefit from it.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave

I have to agree with everyone, I enjoy reading all your posts and always learn some thing new.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge with all of us

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.