Ghosting process

Notices

Ghosting process

Old 11-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ghosting process

Trying to find some good examples of Ghosting in the final design.I know I have see it at few of the shows,however can't find photos of them Any help would be appreciated. Bud
Old 11-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

Depends on how dramatic you want the effect but done right doesnt photograph to well. I have a kick ass technique that works pretty good but it is subtle, really cool if you pull it off. What are you trying to ghost?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Ghosting

I have a client who is considering putting the name of his boat which is 42 ft Apache on the side,preferred base color would be black. The deck would be one of the new 3-M carbon fiber films,white,silver etc.We may also put the name lengthwise in a contrasting color,we are still in the design stages.
What I need to see is some photos of this process,my printer and I want to see if we can duplicate the process in printing on vinyl,which is one of my business.
What is the process you are using.? Bud
Old 11-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glassdave
Depends on how dramatic you want the effect but done right doesnt photograph to well. I have a kick ass technique that works pretty good but it is subtle, really cool if you pull it off. What are you trying to ghost?
hes gonna try to do it in vinyl.

Bud, good luck, cant wait to see it
Old 11-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

The process I use actually diffracts the light. True ghosting only works with metallics/pearls or candies. Otherwise it's just lighter and darker colors. My process is to take my base metallic and spray the car,boat,??? Then mask of what it is I want ghosted, flames or whatever. Then take the same base coat I just used and toss in a flop adjuster and re spray with this mix. Easiest way to explain how it works is have you ever seen a car going down the road in the sun and at a certain angle the door jumps out as darker or lighter as it goes by? This is caused by a repair job where the matched color had a bad side tone or flop. Apply the concept to a graphic you want ghosted and if done right it is pretty cool. I have had flame jobs chace you down the side of a car as you walk by. I often thoughtit could work on a large scale but have not done anything larger then a street rod yet

Not sure if you can get and actual ghosting affect with print though unless it does metallic. What about doing it alternating a matte and gloss surface? One of my bigger customers that owns a robotics company wants to develop paintable holograms
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 11-30-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Ghosting

Thanks for the explanation,don't know if it can be done on Vinyl,but we will look into it. Bud
Old 12-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I don't paint boats. I have done a few custom cars/trucks/motorcycles (as a hobby not on a professional level). All of my methods have been self taught by trial and error. Below is a pic of a ghosted snake skin pattern I did a few years back on my pro-street chopper. I used a non-metallic black base, then used an overthinned (Clear) mid-coat with a metallic pearl paste to attain the ghosted effect, it doesn't take much either. Actually it is barely noticable until you hit it with a few coats of clear.

I have seen one of our local police agencies, use a matte black vinyl on top of the gloss black paint to get a somewhat ghosted look. When it is done with pearl, the ghost effect can have numerous diferent looks based on angle and light exposure, while using the matte vinyl it has the same appearance no matter what angle and light exposure.

Last edited by low_psi; 12-05-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Ghosting

Thanks for the reply,seeing I am trying to do it in vinyl,I would be interested in the process the police used.If you can get me a picture ,or a name I will follow up. Bud 312-607-3115
Old 12-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mr vinyl
Thanks for the reply,seeing I am trying to do it in vinyl,I would be interested in the process the police used.If you can get me a picture ,or a name I will follow up. Bud 312-607-3115
Basically all they did was take a black squad car and applied a matte black police shield on each of the doors. When I first saw it I thought the sticker had been peeled off and just the adhesive was left. Only after I took a closer look did I realize it was a matte finish vinyl. If I get a chance to snap a pic I will.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mr vinyl
Thanks for the explanation,don't know if it can be done on Vinyl,but we will look into it. Bud
seen it done many Xs with paint but in Vinyl never gunna pull off the effect .... its worth a try though
how buzzzzzzzzzzzzzy bud for a truck wrap ???

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.