Bilge paint recommendation >

Bilge paint recommendation

Notices

Bilge paint recommendation

Old 01-28-2012, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy222
If you have a rough bilge (like mine, lots of print through and unground glass), its hard to clean all the tiny crevices.. Ill share my cheap trick that works INCREDIBLY well..

Go to the dollar store and buy you about 6 or 7 of these:

The stiffer the bristle, the better..

Then take your sawzall and cut a line in the top of the handle from the front to back. Take some epoxy, fill in the rut you made and take your dullest sawzall blade and bury it in there..

After it dries, load it up with warm water and comet and put it to work.. it WILL get down in all those little divets in the glass. Works great and is super cheap..
great idea..... i made an adult toy usung this same theory........ she smiles all the time....
Old 02-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 413 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by scippy
Jr,

No sure about epoxy, but I intend to use the gloss white Valspa enamel paint on my bilge. It was just done over with Vinylester resin. I have a few extra Valspa enamel hardener 8 oz. cans if you need.........got them at a good price of $14.99 a can.....let me know!
Scippy, thanks for the offer. I appreciate it! Still not sure on what I will use yet...
Old 02-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Yes, as with everything....with the right prep.
http://www.yachtpaint.com/MPYACMData...Y+20100520.pdf
Thanks for posting!
Old 02-18-2012, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad i found this thread it has been helpfull. I too will be repainting bilge and was told to get all of the stuff from TSC.tractor supply. Here are some pic's of before as you can see it needs it bad!!!!!!!!! i'll post the after when things worm up some.......
Attached Thumbnails Bilge paint recommendation-025.jpg   Bilge paint recommendation-027.jpg  
Old 02-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in the process of doing mine right now. I've got the whole bilge de-rigged and fixing to start sanding and doing all the prep work soon. Waiting for a nice day to do it outside because its a nasty job. Very time consuming job when you break it all down and do it right. Thats the reason I'm having to redo it the person before me I think just cleaned it and painted it it's all starting to peal and looks like chit. Bet he thought it looked good at one time but didn't last long over the years. I've done serveral bilges in the past they suck everytime but if you do it right the results show.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts

Any secrects to getting the bilge degreased? I have been through 2 bottles of simple green, scrubbed it multiple times with comet and used hot wated on it. I still have dark oily loooking stains in the bottom of the bilge. I am planning on using rustoleum on it.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bigboat28
Any secrects to getting the bilge degreased? I have been through 2 bottles of simple green, scrubbed it multiple times with comet and used hot wated on it. I still have dark oily loooking stains in the bottom of the bilge. I am planning on using rustoleum on it.
A gal of Royal Purple at Home Depot. Just use gloves cause it burns and if you get it in a cut.....

ps, don't forget the additive for your paint.

Last edited by f_inscreenname; 02-21-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most any degreaser will work well with the oils and grease that are found in the bilge area. I tend to go with Purple Power because it is very cheap and affective. Be careful not to get one that leaves a residue because it won’t allow the paint to make a good strong bond with the surface that you intend to cover.

Completed this part last night with Rustoleum gray marine paint. $14.00 in total cost.
Now I wish that I went with the white and speckles. That looked great!

Last edited by 1987pachanga22; 02-21-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Registered

Still not sure what to use to cover over all the epoxy work..... Any recommendations?
Old 02-22-2012, 01:58 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

always white. when you are doing a headstand in the bilge fixing whatever, you need all the light you can get.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.