Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Best way/ tool to cut speaker holes in cockpit? >

Best way/ tool to cut speaker holes in cockpit?

Notices

Best way/ tool to cut speaker holes in cockpit?

Old 01-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way/ tool to cut speaker holes in cockpit?

I am going to try to do this myself if possible. I can't imagine its very hard, as long as I am using the right tool for the job.
I need to cut two 8.875" holes in my cockpit and am wondering what steps should be taken and what tool to buy to do the cutting?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by MCKILLOP
I am going to try to do this myself if possible. I can't imagine its very hard, as long as I am using the right tool for the job.
I need to cut two 8.875" holes in my cockpit and am wondering what steps should be taken and what tool to buy to do the cutting?
first use masking tape over the area your cutting,if its around a carpeted area then no need to worry..if their is gelcoat on the area then you need to tape the area,this will keep the gel nice whyle cutting,,nest you drill a 1/2'' hole on the inside of the area,,get a jigsaw with a fine blade and start cutting but go slow,your not in race so take your time..if your cutting through fiberglass you may want to get a few xtra blades ecause they dull real quick..if you go slow with the jigsaw the blades will last longer..this is the cleanest method,,rotozip or any other fast moving tool seem to make a big mess..would help if you had a shop vac hose near the blade whyle cutting the hole to keep the fiberglass dust from inedding its self in the interior and carpet..
Old 01-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Registered

first draw your template on the panel then if you have access to a oscillating tool with a cutting blade on it use that have someone hold a vacuum on it and take your time you will do fine ,cleaner cut than with a jig saw I even use the tools to cut out transoms now instead of a sawzall keeps the dust down. hope this helps Gary Linwood Fiberglass Repair & Canvas INC. Bay City MI.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Unfortunately I installed way too many speakers in my boat, and friends boats this year. I bought the best jig saw blades I could find and they still lose their teeth 1/4 way around the whole when cutting thick fiberglass.

I also used my high speed osolating multi tool, as suggested above, with the half circle cutting blade. I found this was the best and most comfortable method. I drew the circle, drilled a 1" hole in the center, cut an "x" with the sawzall, the cut the circles with the multi tool. I just let the fur fly and worried about cleanup at the end of each hole. Cockpit walls are the worse, unless you have an advanced composite layup like my friends 388 hustler, it was like cutting butter.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,271 Likes on 555 Posts

RotoZip or similar cutting tool works great. Use the strongest bits you can find. I use the tile bits when shopping locally. If you go too fast, you will put too much stress on the bit and snap it. If you go too slow, you will heat up the bit, weaken it, and snap it. You will find a happy medium pretty quick.

Have your shop vacuum right there, and running right under your cut, as you are cutting. It saves a LOT of mess. Make sure you have the dust filter on your shop vac filter.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Registered

Thanks guys. I have a Rotozip so I might try that with some good blades. I assume Home Depot carries good blades? Is there one blade for the Rotozip someone can recommend buying?
Old 01-14-2012, 12:45 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not familiar with RotoZip, but if you can get a carbide bit, get that
Old 01-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

Rotozip is ok but you need the bit for tile. Best blade for a jig saw is the carbide blades, the ones that look like sand on the edge
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
Rotozip is ok but you need the bit for tile.
+1

I cut 7 speaker holes on my boat and didn't have room for a jigsaw on any of them. I used a Dremel with a tile cutting bit. It's slow, but works great and doesn't chip the gelcoat. BTW, I used 4 bits for those 7 holes.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Registered

The laminate jigsaw blades work decent, but you will use quite a few of them as noted above. I found that slowing the blade speed way down helped, but still used quite a few blades.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.