Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Bilge paint - which paint?? So many options... >

Bilge paint - which paint?? So many options...

Notices

Bilge paint - which paint?? So many options...

Old 06-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by Libertarian
Sherwin williams paint question:
"mr.fixxall"
i see you posted b65w311 + hardner as the paint to use. When i spoke with my sw rep he said that paint needs an under coat of paint or primer in order to work properly.
He suggested part # b54wz401 which is an industrial high solids enamel. I crossed reference the specs online and it appears this has better resistance to chems, etc. Also is oil based so wont break down as easy in water. We have used similar on our shop equipment and its tough. My cost is $46 per gallon, hardener not required (wont work).
Any thoughts on this?
i have no clue on that stuff,,if its not a two part system im not using it..i didn't see that the stuff you posted had uv protection?...i have used it for a few years and if preped properly it will stick to anything including my concrete floors in the shop and thats been their for a few years now..im seeing how long it lasts and so far im real impressed..
Old 06-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sw

My Sherwin Williams rep was nice enough to get me samples of three products:
B65w311--Polyurethane
B58w610--Epoxy
B54wz401--Enamel

After applying and testing these (as much as I could)--I am going with Mr.Fixxalls recommendation of the B65w311. (Not that I doubted you, just wanted to defuse conflicting recommendations).
It had the best finish, applied pretty well, and seems pretty tough. However of all of them, the surface had to be the cleanest, I didnt acetone clean in areas and it did not adhere at all.
The Enamel covered the best and was thickest.
The Epoxy is tough as steel and spec sheets pretty much make it seem indestructible, but it is only a semi-gloss.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you guys spraying or brushing these on?
Old 06-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

just remember; white. you see people doing red and blue and purple to match hull or motor, but when doing a headstand between motors to work on something or look for a dropped bolt you need all the light you can get...
Old 06-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 413 Likes on 231 Posts

I used Valspar Gloss White Enamel with the Hardener.... So far so good....
Old 06-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK thanks for the input! Now I'm also torn with using gel coat as an alternative...
Old 06-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Libertarian
My Sherwin Williams rep was nice enough to get me samples of three products:
B65w311--Polyurethane
B58w610--Epoxy
B54wz401--Enamel

After applying and testing these (as much as I could)--I am going with Mr.Fixxalls recommendation of the B65w311. (Not that I doubted you, just wanted to defuse conflicting recommendations).
It had the best finish, applied pretty well, and seems pretty tough. However of all of them, the surface had to be the cleanest, I didnt acetone clean in areas and it did not adhere at all.
The Enamel covered the best and was thickest.
The Epoxy is tough as steel and spec sheets pretty much make it seem indestructible, but it is only a semi-gloss.
I am going with the epoxy as my bilge is semi-gloss in the first place. The hardener part number is B58v600. They would not come out and recommend it as it has not been tested on fiberglass/gel. They didnt recommend against it either. My thought is that epoxy sticks to about anything. I would like to have used gel but it was not available rite away.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts

Did mine in yellow rustoleum with the hardener. I used a brush and roller to put it on. It came out extremely shiny and slick and looks very nice. I was very happy with it. Now I will have to see how long it lasts.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Sherwin williams base coat with a Sherwin williams clear with 6599 hardener or a Imron clear... or awcraft 2000 clear but its really thine will take more coats.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I ended up going with sherwin williams B58w610--Epoxy, it is called macropoxy. 2 gallons, one colored one hardener are expensive! to the tune of over a $140 a gallon. I got mine for about $150 all together using someones business account. All I can tell you is that this stuff covers well and is NEVER coming off! It will never chip dropping a wrench! It was not for sale at the sherwin house paint store. It is at their industrial store.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.