Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Bilge paint - which paint?? So many options... >

Bilge paint - which paint?? So many options...

Notices

Bilge paint - which paint?? So many options...

Old 06-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
I ended up going with sherwin williams B58w610--Epoxy, it is called macropoxy. 2 gallons, one colored one hardener are expensive! to the tune of over a $140 a gallon. I got mine for about $150 all together using someones business account. All I can tell you is that this stuff covers well and is NEVER coming off! It will never chip dropping a wrench! It was not for sale at the sherwin house paint store. It is at their industrial store.
im going to have to ask my SW rep. about that tomorrow and get some more info on it thanks.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

They reps may not recommend it because they have not done testing over fiberglass...and that is not their intended market. Although the guy behind the counter said it will stick to anything and he was right. It has been used to paint offshore oil rigs. Goes on thicker with a brush better but has a better finish with a roller. Might be a better finish with a better brush, but I used the cheapest ones I could find at home depot and hanging upside down in the bilge didnt help either. I believe they have a reducer for it so it can be sprayed. As mentioned earlier it is semigloss (like my bilge was in the first place), but still looks pretty shiney. As far as prepping...all I did was clean the oil up around my trim pump.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

ok guys,,the part numnbers i listed is the only paint that sherwin williams has that has uv protection period....the epoxy has none so if you like showing off your engines at a bar when its sitting still and in the sun its going to look like faded paint on a car that has been sitting in the florida keys its whole life in one summer..
Old 06-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
ok guys,,the part numnbers i listed is the only paint that sherwin williams has that has uv protection period....the epoxy has none so if you like showing off your engines at a bar when its sitting still and in the sun its going to look like faded paint on a car that has been sitting in the florida keys its whole life in one summer..
Did not know that...most likely not a problem with white (the part number I listed).
Old 02-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you use a primer
Old 02-15-2014, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No
Old 02-15-2014, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carter use a primer and if you want I have 3/4 gallon of white awl grip left you can have just come get it. Grand lakers take care of grand lakers!! Dont use rust oleum. If I see kent I can give to him to give you if he don't want it to do his transom area. Shane at fibertek marine... 9183209869
Old 02-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Registered

Oops sorry I thought you started the thread^^^^^^^ my bad! Imron works great too but expensive so can't give that away.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:44 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage
Are you guys spraying or brushing these on?
Very good question. So far only one responded with roller and brush.
How about the rest of you guys?
Old 02-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Registered

You can do both. Use a foam roller 3/16 or smaller. Watch drying times . I use a weeny roller easier to maneuver .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.