How to clean fiberglassing tools >

How to clean fiberglassing tools

Notices

How to clean fiberglassing tools

Old 07-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to clean fiberglassing tools

How do I clean the roller handles, etc after wetting out my fiberglass using polyester resin. I plan on using disposable brushes and throwing away the actual roller, but I would like to keep the roller handles and whatever else I can save.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:28 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

Acetone is the best readily available or lacquer thinner. In my shop i have a five of a special cleaner called Enviro Solve that i just toss tools in when I'm done. Resin just ends up at the bottom of the bucket in clumps and you just sift it out. The stuff kind of self recycles plus its water washable and a fairly green product.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave , not to be rude but the Enviro Solve in my opinion is not worth the money or should i say a waste of money .............................considering Acetone like you mentioned is readly avaliable , and most likely offers the best bang for the buck .........for cleaning tools .
Old 07-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Glassic R.T.
Dave , not to be rude but the Enviro Solve in my opinion is not worth the money or should i say a waste of money .............................considering Acetone like you mentioned is readly avaliable , and most likely offers the best bang for the buck .........for cleaning tools .
I thought that to till I used it regularly. Works great and will clean anything if left in long enough. Word of warning though it will even take chrome off. But yea for the do it yourselfer it is probably not the right choice. Not sure how you used it RT but it's not like acetone, this stuff lasts much longer and is sort of self recycling. I had I couple of old rollers that were covered in old resin and glass that I abused and pretty much wrote off long ago. Tossed 'em in the bucket for a few days and good as new
Old 07-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by glassdave
I thought that to till I used it regularly. Works great and will clean anything if left in long enough. Word of warning though it will even take chrome off. But yea for the do it yourselfer it is probably not the right choice. Not sure how you used it RT but it's not like acetone, this stuff lasts much longer and is sort of self recycling. I had I couple of old rollers that were covered in old resin and glass that I abused and pretty much wrote off long ago. Tossed 'em in the bucket for a few days and good as new
it works better if you hgeat it up,,i have some in a crovk pot,,it will eat hardened gel out of a spraygun..
Old 07-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
it works better if you hgeat it up,,i have some in a crovk pot,,it will eat hardened gel out of a spraygun..
Hmmm interesting. Guess I'll hafta keep an eye out for one. I swear by the stuff plus I like that it's not as hazardous to deal with as acetone and actually works better.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once fell for the Jamestown Distributors fiberglass cleanup solvent.

....I ended up with a $60 gallon of xylene.