Notices

Boat wraps

Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A good before and after and a few others!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought this one with the wrap on and took it off. It came off easy. Use a shrink wrap torch to heat big areas at once. 95% of the glue came off with the wrap.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ridefast77
I paid $2000 for my wrap and it looked awesome but you cant beat the shine of clear coat, like a sheet of glass NO wrap will give you that i dont care how good/nice or $$$ it is. not going to happen just saying
you are dead wrong.....it's the laminate that gives it the deep clearcoat look of paint...and yes with $$$ it can...the $2000 says it all....

Last edited by ezstriper; 02-15-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Registered

The wrap on mine was 15k and it was glossy. But when parked next to another gel coated Eliminator it was not as glossy and didn't have the same depth.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
you are dead wrong.....it's the laminate that gives it the deep clearcoat look of paint...and yes with $$$ it can...the $2000 says it all....
the $2000 was at cost. i have seen 1000s of wraps from east coast to west coast on cars, boats and just about everything you can put them on. i was at west coast customs in LA this year and they had some custom wrap on some cars they were taking to the sema show this past year and they had a little shine but it wasn't a clear coat shine and there the best of the best! And i never said they didn't shine i said they will never shine like a clear coated paint job. unless you have some maco $500 paint job... ill tell you what you get a wrap that has the same glass shine that my paint does ill kiss your a$$... never going to happen. so know im dead right!

Last edited by ridefast77; 02-15-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dmann
The wrap on mine was 15k and it was glossy. But when parked next to another gel coated Eliminator it was not as glossy and didn't have the same depth.
just like i said thank you!
Old 02-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by dmann

Yikes fifteen k for that? For that kinda money its hidious, looks like clip art which im sure as why you pulled it. Coulda done good paint for that. Thats actually my biggest peave with wraps is they mostly look like just a mosh of drop and drag "off the shelf" design elements or basically clip art. I do think they have a place though if you can find a guy that can manage design and color theory as well as taylor it to a perticular shape of a boat rather the just a giant confused mess. Another mistake i see all the time is guys design in 2D flat rendering. A good example of this is the cig center console that was done to match the 50 marauder. Absolutly fantastic job but next time ya look at it notice how the stripes and spear tips at the front seem to flatten out or point up as they go up the bow. Its basically similar to keystoning and comes directly from being designed on a flat template. A few simple measurements and a bit of massaging and line managment can correct this.
Not trying to knock anyone because there a few guys that do nice stuff and actually put some effort into designing a custom layout. Far to many guys out there buy a large format printer and a copy of 1001 clip art and open up a wrap biz.if your gonna get a wrap, and i have some seen nice ones, get an artist who is familiar with boats and can do something unique from scratch.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 02-15-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:19 PM
Registered

The best part is the company that did it (skinzwrap.com) has 5 photos still on there website of the boat. One is on the home page.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:55 PM
Registered

Lots of good feedback. Thanks! I'm probably going wraps for now. In the five year plan of things, I will probably upgrade to a slightly newer, larger Powerboat.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anybody watches NHRA drag racing on TV look at the shine on the funny cars...and in person very good depth...all wraps now...as are nascar's and more and more race cars period...you want depth and shine...it's all in the lamanates...which is the clear coat...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.