Clear coat over gel

Notices

Clear coat over gel

Old 10-03-2014, 04:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear coat over gel

Has anyone sprayed clear coat of over the exterior gel. Thinking of doing this as a winter project to increase the gloss.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it works but the uv resistance of the clear is not as good as spraying a base coat first a lot of boat builders did that and the clear started pealing after 6-8 years if left out in the sun too much,if the gel is in bad shape you will probably get some fish eyes also
Old 10-03-2014, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 178 Likes on 115 Posts

I just finished removing the horrific looking clearcoat the po put on mine. It was scaleing and pealing everywhere.
Btw easiest way i found to remove the clearcoat was to use packing tape. Removed clear and did not leave sticky residue.
Good luck
Old 10-07-2014, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 182 Likes on 89 Posts

I got through Grad school doing it to bring back metalflake boats shine! I used Aircraft Imron back then. I would shoot a couple of rounds, wet sand, and shoot a final. I was there 4 years and never had a comeback! Gelcoat is great primer, but you have to make sure ALL the old wax that is sitting in the pores is removed and there are is a good "tooth" cut into it for the clear to adhere to (absolutely no shiny spots). Dupont (back then) didn't even recommend you wax Imron for 3 years. I'm not sure what product you could use now, so many companies have such new stuff. I go into the Auto Paint stores and just ask what's best for this or that project.