Help with Fibre Glass Repair Kit >

Help with Fibre Glass Repair Kit

Notices

Help with Fibre Glass Repair Kit

Old 10-26-2016, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Fibre Glass Repair Kit

Hi, I'm new here so first off, hello to the other members. So I own a boat on the Australian Coast with my friend Dean. We've noticed some small damage to the fibre glass at the side of our boat and are now looking for a suitable fibre glass repair kit and some instructions on how to repair the damage, which I presume would be provided along with the kit. The boat we own is a Nor-tech. Just so you know a little bit about it, its an '09 24' custom built vacuum bagged fiberglass reinforced with Kevlar. There's a vinylester resin and a hi-gloss gel coat to boot. I was hoping that someone on the forum could suggest the best kit manufacturer/product for this particular style of finish. Or, maybe you would recommend that we just take it to a professional shop? Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,151 Likes on 490 Posts

G'day knackers, how ya goin?

I had a very small chip (the size of a 5 cent piece) on the bottom of my boat, right on the Vee. The local pin-heads at the marina did the damage when loading her on the trailer.

I used wet 'n' dry folded to create an edge and grooved out the chip slightly so I could get some filler in. I bought a simple 2 part epoxy putty from a local supplier (10 bucks) mixed it 50:50 and filled the chip using an applicator. Rubbed it back with 1500 grit then 2000 grit. Finished of with a hand polish and it looks brand spanking.

Pretty easy on white gel but if your damage is on a colored section you need tinter to match the colour. That's about as far as I would care to go using an easy fix. Don't know how big your damage is, might need an expert opinion, maybe a professional repair too being Kevlar. Simple fixes like mine can be searched on YouTube and very easy to do.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]560953[/ATTACH]

Cheers buddy.

RR

EDIT. Bloody iPad inverted the photo automatically for guys like us from down under........
Attached Thumbnails Help with Fibre Glass Repair Kit-image.jpg  

Last edited by rak rua; 10-27-2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bommer
Hi, I'm new here so first off, hello to the other members. So I own a boat on the Australian Coast with my friend Dean. We've noticed some small damage to the fibre glass at the side of our boat and are now looking for a suitable fibre glass repair kit and some instructions on how to repair the damage, which I presume would be provided along with the kit. The boat we own is a Nor-tech. Just so you know a little bit about it, its an '09 24' custom built vacuum bagged fiberglass reinforced with Kevlar. There's a vinylester resin and a hi-gloss gel coat to boot. I was hoping that someone on the forum could suggest the best kit manufacturer/product for this particular style of finish. Or, maybe you would recommend that we just take it to a professional shop? Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by rak rua
G'day knackers, how ya goin?

I had a very small chip (the size of a 5 cent piece) on the bottom of my boat, right on the Vee. The local pin-heads at the marina did the damage when loading her on the trailer.

I used wet 'n' dry folded to create an edge and grooved out the chip slightly so I could get some filler in. I bought a simple 2 part epoxy putty from a local supplier (10 bucks) mixed it 50:50 and filled the chip using an applicator. Rubbed it back with 1500 grit then 2000 grit. Finished of with a hand polish and it looks brand spanking.

Pretty easy on white gel but if your damage is on a colored section you need tinter to match the colour. That's about as far as I would care to go using an easy fix. Don't know how big your damage is, might need an expert opinion, maybe a professional repair too being Kevlar. Simple fixes like mine can be searched on YouTube and very easy to do.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]560953[/ATTACH]

Cheers buddy.

RR

EDIT. Bloody iPad inverted the photo automatically for guys like us from down under........

OK, thanks bud, appreciate the response. I have a friend of a friend who is going to come down and have a look, just to let us know whether or not we need to get a professional in. Its not a bid hole to repair so I'd like to have a go myself but we'll see what he says. Thanks again for the tips, i'll mention your fix and see what he suggests.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,151 Likes on 490 Posts

I'm more of an enjoy boating guy than a fibreglass fixit guy, surprised you haven't seen a few more detailed and knowledgable responses.

Maybe this 'thread bump' will get some attention, there's some pretty cluey guys here on OSO.

Cheers,
Jon.

Last edited by rak rua; 11-06-2016 at 08:15 AM.