will fiberglass resin melt plastic >

will fiberglass resin melt plastic

Notices

will fiberglass resin melt plastic

Old 02-25-2020, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default will fiberglass resin melt plastic

will fiberglass resin melt plastic? looking to reinforce the baja plastic side pocket, and was thinking I would just start layering fiberglass cloth... want to do something similar to below, but that plasctic pocket is really flimsy and even with the stock stereo you can hear the plastic vibrating...
Old 02-26-2020, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 196 Likes on 103 Posts

Depends on the plastic and the thickness. It wont completely melt or disintegrate it, but mix resin a plastic cup and see what happens. For what you want to do, if you lay up the 1st layer with a standard resin/catalyst mix and let it cure, you should have no problem with subsequent layering.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

It may not stick to the plastic
Old 02-26-2020, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 429 Likes on 257 Posts

It probably only cause it to fog over. Find some ethylene dichloride, local Westlake or a hobby store. That is what is used to glue plexiglass together. It will leave a invisible seam where the 2 pieces meet. It will discolor the plexi if you get it on the sheet by itself. The way we used to do it was take the 2 edges you want to glue together, clamp in place and use a small solder rosin type bottle with a needle size hollow tube, also available from hobby store, run a bead of the e/d/cloride down the seam. It will wick in and set up almost immediately. For a stronger bond, drill and tap for flat head screws and you will have a permanent piece. Used this stuff in thermal ovens for hot and cold testing and it is pretty solid.

Last edited by Helmwurst; 02-26-2020 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-05-2020, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

no, it will melt to it! I kid I kid
Old 03-06-2020, 05:21 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 30outlaw
will fiberglass resin melt plastic? looking to reinforce the baja plastic side pocket, and was thinking I would just start layering fiberglass cloth... want to do something similar to below, but that plasctic pocket is really flimsy and even with the stock stereo you can hear the plastic vibrating...
Ayuh,....... Use Epoxy, rather than poly resin,..... No problem,.....