Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Newbie Stringer 1708 Glassing Issues! >

Newbie Stringer 1708 Glassing Issues!

Notices

Newbie Stringer 1708 Glassing Issues!

Old 04-24-2024, 11:51 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Newbie Stringer 1708 Glassing Issues!

So I’m finally starting to glass in the knees, and obviously starting with tabbing. I’m using US Composites Vinylester.

How do y’all handle the long strips of 1708 to tab in your stringers?
I’ve tried “priming” the boat hull and the back side (chop strand side) of the tabbing, but the long strips of wet glass become a twisted sticky mess trying to get them laid down.
Seems strips of about 24” is about all I can manage. The pic shows that method.

I also laid the tabs dry onto a “primed” surface, but it is very time consuming getting the resin to soak into the cloth.

What method is the one you use?

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2024, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 506 Likes on 279 Posts

I lay the cut strips on 6mm poly, pour the resin on it, fold poly back onto the wet glass and squeegee it around until its fully wetted out. It's much easier with two people. One to prep the strip and one to lay it down.
The following users liked this post:
StingerFan (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 01:20 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,066 Likes on 536 Posts

ive done longer strips up to 6' long by 12" wide of 1708 with mini paint rollers. I have a 6" x 3/4" paint roller that i wet out the surface with ..then lay out the dry 1708 and then roll over it again with the paint roller....you can then use a metal roller to get the bubbles out and wet out the dry spots....i mix my resin on the lighter side like 1-1.5% so i get a little longer work time...or just get a slow hardener....shouldn't be that tough..

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
The following users liked this post:
StingerFan (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 01:26 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Also keep in mind the temps outside/inside. The hotter it is the less catalyst you want to use...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 04-25-2024, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Much Appreciated!

Hey Resurrected, I’m thinking you’re using 6mil thick plastic rolls? Do you do long strips (5-feet x 12”) that way? I’m imagining handling the plastic and lay the strips in place, then peel off the plastic?
I’m thinking that would work, and is waaaay less messy!

And Wally, I bought a big bag of rollers like you described from Amazon, but they shed so bad I gave up using them.
Do you have a brand that works well for you?

Thanks Again Gents!
Old 04-26-2024, 07:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 506 Likes on 279 Posts

I have a 4' x 6' steel bench that I can work on. So I just cut the poly (yes 6mm plastic sheathing used for vapor barrier) large enough to cover the bench top, I tape three sides down so I'm not wrestling with it when peeling up the wet glass. The wet fiberglass comes up wet and clean. With a helper its efficient, as I am wetting out the next strip he is rolling the previous one. I re-use the poly until I mix up new batch of resin (less waste, a lot of resin will stay on the poly).
Working by yourself, doing narrow strips of poly would be a neat way to do it, cover the work surface, resin will squeegee out the edges of the strips. If I was by myself, I would set up inside the boat with a folding table or sheet of plywood and have everything inside with me. I would probably try wetting (just pouring on the others and not squeegee completely wet) a few strips at the same time for a couple of reasons, to give it time to soak in and dissolve the binders and also to reduce the volume of catalyzed resin.
Let us know what works and what does not!
Old 04-26-2024, 07:54 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Originally Posted by StingerFan
Much Appreciated!

Hey Resurrected, I’m thinking you’re using 6mil thick plastic rolls? Do you do long strips (5-feet x 12”) that way? I’m imagining handling the plastic and lay the strips in place, then peel off the plastic?
I’m thinking that would work, and is waaaay less messy!

And Wally, I bought a big bag of rollers like you described from Amazon, but they shed so bad I gave up using them.
Do you have a brand that works well for you?

Thanks Again Gents!
I take some masking tape and wrap the roller up and then peel the tape off...that pulls all the fuzzy's off the roller....but i usually use a 3/8" nap roller
ive even seen some micro fiber rollers recently at a local paint supply store ive been meaning to give a try on what ever the next project comes up.
Also...as im sure it makes sense with a paint roller...use a paint tray while doing this.....mix up your resin in a cup or what ever then transfer it to the paint tray....it spreads it out thinner so less heat and longer work time too.