Gray color match Baja swim platform >

Gray color match Baja swim platform

Notices

Gray color match Baja swim platform

Old 08-08-2024, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 550 Likes on 262 Posts

Sorry, I haven't been on here in a few days. Yes, the top bolts are through the transom and the other 4 are lag bolt style into the transom, also you can remove all the bolts and it will not fall off due to the sealant. I usually have myself and another person get under the outer edge and lift up to get it to break loose. Just from experience it will pop loudly once the sealant gives way, but you wont hurt the gelcoat in any way. Once the platform is loose one person can handle it. I usually put an old comforter or blanket over the drives just to protect them incase the platform gets dropped. As far as sealant. I have always used a clear water proof 3m sealant. 4200 is what most will say use, but its over kill in my opinion.
Old 08-11-2024, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bencini231
Sorry, I haven't been on here in a few days. Yes, the top bolts are through the transom and the other 4 are lag bolt style into the transom, also you can remove all the bolts and it will not fall off due to the sealant. I usually have myself and another person get under the outer edge and lift up to get it to break loose. Just from experience it will pop loudly once the sealant gives way, but you wont hurt the gelcoat in any way. Once the platform is loose one person can handle it. I usually put an old comforter or blanket over the drives just to protect them incase the platform gets dropped. As far as sealant. I have always used a clear water proof 3m sealant. 4200 is what most will say use, but its over kill in my opinion.
Ah, ok. Ya it's probably more scary thinking about it than doing it. Agree, will only use clear sealant as you describe. That's what the factory used. The bolts get splashed but don't stay submerged ever.

RAL7004 has proved to be the EXACT color match. Painter will take a final swing at this and maybe I can live with it a bit longer with a perfect color match. Paint so exact have to point out with a pen. Yay!

If I do take it off, it will be sent to Extreme Powder Coat in OH. The have the powder in stock and the grip tape and have done a few.

Last edited by imartin; 08-11-2024 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-11-2024, 07:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by imartin
Ah, ok. Ya it's probably more scary thinking about it than doing it. Agree, will only use clear sealant as you describe. That's what the factory used. The bolts get splashed but don't stay submerged ever.

RAL7004 has proved to be the EXACT color match. Painter will take a final swing at this and maybe I can live with it a bit longer with a perfect color match. Paint so exact have to point out with a pen. Yay!

If I do take it off, it will be sent to Extreme Powder Coat in OH. The have the powder in stock and the grip tape and have done a few.

IMartin,

I was scared sh!fleas to start cutting into my hull to do the pop-up cleats, but, once I got started, it went pretty smooth.

I can remember holding the router, with the bit in the screw hole and my thumb of the switch, convincing myself to turn it on. By the time I was done, I was ripping through it like it was nothing.

Potential pro tip: I’ve seen guys use fishing line to cut through “caulk-like” adhesives. Might be worth a shot.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 08-11-2024, 10:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
IMartin,

I was scared sh!fleas to start cutting into my hull to do the pop-up cleats, but, once I got started, it went pretty smooth.

I can remember holding the router, with the bit in the screw hole and my thumb of the switch, convincing myself to turn it on. By the time I was done, I was ripping through it like it was nothing.

Potential pro tip: I’ve seen guys use fishing line to cut through “caulk-like” adhesives. Might be worth a shot.

Thanks. Brad.
Wow wow Brad! Looks like a CNC lathe cut those! I hear ya, I cut out the hole to add transom mounted remote, Ive removed a Corsa diverter and had Corsa reweld the internal back flow half moon, appreciate the boost! Yep was thinking the same, fishing line. I have an overhead frame in my garage and will have the swim platform all strapped taught for the job. Then the waterproof clear silicone sealant on the reinstall.

appreciate the tips and confidence!
Old 08-12-2024, 09:37 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by imartin
Wow wow Brad! Looks like a CNC lathe cut those! I hear ya, I cut out the hole to add transom mounted remote, Ive removed a Corsa diverter and had Corsa reweld the internal back flow half moon, appreciate the boost! Yep was thinking the same, fishing line. I have an overhead frame in my garage and will have the swim platform all strapped taught for the job. Then the waterproof clear silicone sealant on the reinstall.

appreciate the tips and confidence!
IMartin,

Just a Bosch trim router with 3 flute carbide endmills. I went through five endmills before the cutouts were done. Tungsten carbide is hard as Hell, but fiberglass is extremely abrasive and eats them up pretty quick. Trust me... The cutouts aren't near as clean and smooth as they might appear. I'm very glad they are covered up by the cleats. These pop-up cleats have a backing plate that serves as a template for the cutout. You center them visually as best you can and trace the shape with a Sharpie, then cut it out with the router, checking for clearance for each one. Once you've got them all fitting clean but snug, with the pup-up mechanism working freely, you seal the raw wood with epoxy, let it cure, repeat, and install the cleats. They were a lot of work, but they do look cool.

Pop-up Cleat Thread

The fishing line works remarkably well, as long as the adhesive is soft enough for the fishing line to work through it.

Thanks. Brad.

Last edited by Brad Christy; 08-12-2024 at 09:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
imartin (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 10:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bencini231
Honestly I believe you would be better off removing it and having it powder coated like it was done originally. Way more durable and all surfaces will match. Only a 15 minute job to remove it as well.
Got the right match today takingthe RAL code and having single stage paint mixed, so is good enough for rest of summer. Tube's were repainted, mounting plate was not, and came out acceptable. I and can see myself pulling it and getting re powdercoated over winter. I want that factory finish 100%.