how to fix gelcoat crazing >

how to fix gelcoat crazing

Notices

how to fix gelcoat crazing

Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 928 Likes on 337 Posts
Default how to fix gelcoat crazing

working on the deck of my Cougar Cub and have all the cracks and damage fixed but the entire deck is crazed. plan on sanding it down with 36 and then 80 grit to knock it down some but short of taking all the gelcoat of off down to the glass is there a good way to fill it that wont just come right back. plan was to sand it down to get the aged surface off then prime it with a reduced primer so it would fill down in rather than just surface over the crazing but not sure that is the best fix. any thoughts?
Old Today, 08:01 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 991 Likes on 503 Posts

It will depend on whats causing the crazing.
If its from impact stress, then the crazing should be sorta like a spider web with the crazing centered around the impact area and getting more spread out as it gets farther away.
If its more or less even all the way around, then its possible the laminate is too thin and its crazing from the substructure flexing....or the UV has attacked it if its been sitting around exposed tot he sun for years.
Either way i think sanding it down and getting rid of the bad areas will be the best way to fix it. And of course fix the issue that caused it....or you will be just going in circles fixing the same thing over and over again...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old Today, 08:37 AM
Registered

it is from being in the sun for years as it is even everywhere. there were areas of cracking from impacts and or flex but I have repaired those areas. as for it being thin, well you havent been around a Cougar Cub, everywhere is thin, LOL. this is definately from the sun so I really did not want to have to remove all the gel from the entire deck. it did not have this on the hull so looks like maybe it was a different batch of gel used on the deck. who knows, these little things were knocked out pretty fast and cheap back in the day.
Old Today, 08:39 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 991 Likes on 503 Posts

Maybe if you thin an epoxy primer it can fill the cracks and still have a good hold??? not sure...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old Today, 01:24 PM
Registered

yea that is what I am not too sure about as I have never done that before. I can take the gel down a ways to get rid of some but to remove it all would mean taking it all off which I dont want to do. It is getting painted with awlgrip as a top coat but I dont want the crazing to just come right back up. just not sure what affect thinning the epoxy or primer more than recommended will have on it durability wise.