Formula emblem removal

Notices
Formula

Formula emblem removal

Old 01-14-2002, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Formula emblem removal

please excuse spelling and syntax. typing one-handed due to shoulder surgery. anyone ever replaced the chrome plated formula lettering at the rear flanks? it's applied with double-stick tape but it feels like cement. tried wax, grease and adhesive remover to soften it some but it still won't budge. any ideas? trying to stay away from using a scraper to reduce chance of gouging paint.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best thing to do is heat it up.peel off with fingurenail. You can buy a new one at Formula it will stick on try to leave someoutline so you get it back in right place. Good Luck, Mark
Old 01-14-2002, 06:40 PM
Charter Member #795
Charter Member

If hair dryer does not work, you might borrow a heat gun (kind of an industrial blow dryer), from a local body shop.
Old 01-14-2002, 08:36 PM
Registered

I agree with Bryan Woods, use a heat gun or hair dryer to get the emblem off, then for the leftover adhesive use bug and tar remover or kerosene. That usually does the trick.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
tried 3m adhesive remover - no dice. i guess heat would be the next logical step. i'll try the hair dryer. the heat guns get so hot you could damage paint. i know you can turn them down some but then you're back near hair dryer level. good idea on leaving an outline for the new lettering. i just took some measurements and wrote them down (distance between letters, from rear of boat, up from body line etc). also have other side to look at. at $50 per side, i don't want to screw it up. thanks for the responses guys. i'll let you know how it turns out.

btw, i see some of you talking about loto. we go up every year for 4th of july. i have a cousin that has a place there (22 mile cove) - has a 41pc with the cummins 450's. thinking of towing my 311 up this year from louisiana. let me know when you guys are talking about going. be great to meet some of the formula family.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw in a formula video that they use a "mold" to hold all the letters when they apply them in the factory. Could do the same thing at home. Lay the letters on a table just as you want them to appear on your boat. Take a board with light-weight double sticky tape and lay across the letters. When you pick up the board, all the letters should stick to it. Then remove the backing on the letters and stick them to your boat all at once. If it works, let me know; I might try it myself then!
Old 01-15-2002, 02:56 PM
Registered

Croozin2:

AN EVEN BETTER IDEA!!! Since the letters are still on your boat... make a mold before removing them. Apply a releasing agent over the old letters and gel coat around them, then stick putty over the area and allow to harden. Pop it off and you have your mold. If you are good, you may even include some body marks to align the new letters. Talk with some of the guys doing auto body work for advice on the putty and how to do this without jurting anything. Good Luck.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:58 PM
Registered

Croozin2:

AN EVEN BETTER IDEA!!! Since the letters are still on your boat... make a mold before removing them. Apply a releasing agent over the old letters and gel coat around them, then stick putty over the area and allow to harden. Pop it off and you have your mold. If you are good, you may even include some body marks to align the new letters. Talk with some of the guys doing auto body work for advice on the putty and how to do this without hurting anything. Good Luck.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:01 PM
Registered

Sorry, I trid to edit number 2, resulting in number 3, neccessitating number 4 to explane number 3. Boy, this is getting out of hand!
Old 01-15-2002, 08:22 PM
bayou outlaw

Don, easiest way is to work a piece of fishing line behind the emblem. see-saw it back and forth and it will pop right off. (of course you will have to wait till the shoulder heals though). If you want to try it this weekend I will come pick you up and we will ride out there and do it. I just took some dealer emblems off my truck the other day using this method. My 17 year old told me how to do it. Guess I should listen to him more often. Andy

Quick Reply: Formula emblem removal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.