311 Engine Rebuild

Notices
Formula

311 Engine Rebuild

Old 04-24-2005, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 449 Likes on 297 Posts
Default Re: 311 Engine Rebuild

any body knows how fast would twin 500 hp run in my 1985 F 35-7?
I bought it with twin scrap 454 400 hp, i don't even know how fast it was going with these since I never drove it!
Old 04-25-2005, 12:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by f311fr1
Are you sure that GENVI heads will work on GENIV blocks? Bore 30 over for nice 468" package. Use good pistons. I have 15 std bore stock forged pistons you can have if they would do you any good. You might want to get new balancers. I put B&M 250's with single Nickerson dominator and Gil's on my 468's and flew my 311 @ 87 MPH on GPS. You will need to look into external steering from Marine Machine, IMCO, ect. GOOD LUCK, Joe Murray
f311fr1, what props did you use with that set up? What kind of hp do you think you had?
Old 04-25-2005, 05:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that since these are forged pistons, they grow once warmed up. If I use a feeler gage, there is definitely more clearance opposite the wrist pins. This suggests an egg or elliptical wear pattern.
You know that pistons, even when new, are not perfectly round.
The expansion rate is different in different places. I belive they will expand more where the mass is greater like near the wrist pins.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff32
any body knows how fast would twin 500 hp run in my 1985 F 35-7?
I bought it with twin scrap 454 400 hp, i don't even know how fast it was going with these since I never drove it!

With the right props you might see 70 mph. Heavy boat. Great rough water boat.

Maybe a "blonde one" better.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:47 AM
Registered

Gentlemen, I thank you for your responses.

f311fr1- I appreciate you mentioning the pistons, if I don't need to bore, I may PM you.. Ironically, I have one new piston. That would make the 16 needed.

Poorsche - I will keep track of the expenses. When I get time, I plan to total what I have invested thus far... That'll be scary.

Iggy - I did a poor job of describing the bore wear vs. the piston. The wear that I saw was opposite the wrist pin. If the wrist pin was called east to west, the wear is north and south.
I never realized that the pistons were not perfectly round.

Russ - I know you are not fond of the arch. I like it... Cuda loves Bimini's... I like them when it is raining. I like the arch gone from the point of view that it fits into the garage. My son does a great deal of research on boats, he loves them more than me. It appears that this bird may be kinda rare, supposedly it was built for John Crouse for a race of that year , there were only a few 311's that had factory arches, and the pin stripes were hand painted by Mrs. Porter. The stripes are still there... So, there may be a Little nostalgic history relative to this arch. It will eventually be re-installed... The light on the middle of the arch is great at night esp. when camping... Nice to lean against when your just chillin in the sun too. There is a cover that snaps from the windshield to the arch, sorta like a Bimini. I know Cuda would love that... Oh well, I guess that's why ice cream comes in so many flavors... Vanilla and chocolate aren't always enough of a choice, I do appreciate your thoughts. My son would love to loose the swim platform. Geez, seems like there is no end to what would be nice to do. I'd like to loose it too, and get an extreme marine.... That is in the............... future for me... One of the other offshore members, GLH, local to this area, stated that Lake Champlain will be imposing noise restrictions in the near future.... So we would need mufflers too. They aren't cheap either.... I do need to talk to you about dropping off the swim platform. I had a slow leak, I don't know where it was coming from. My son and i are pulling everything off the transom. We plan to repaint the out-drives and trim tabs... And reseal everything..... I hope we can get out this summer...

Last edited by QUIKDECISION; 04-25-2005 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:13 AM
Registered

FYI--I've got a Formula SR357--weighs about 11,000 loaded and I've got all kinds of stuff in there--genset, a/c, microwave, full video, full electronics inc radar--I see top end of near 65 when I get it everything all trimmed in using TRS drives, 454 EFI's, bottom paint and 21 pitch props it that helps.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

F311 - you can use Gen VI heads on a Gen IV block and I think you meant 461" @ .030 and 468" @ .060 right? I just went through my motors last year in my 311. JE pistons @ .030 and 9.5:1cr with the 118cc heads.

Jeff32 - With right at 500hp, my top end on my 311 picked up from 63 - 72 with 23" Mirages but it blows right through those wheels. Been meaning to test a pair of Bravo 1 24" from a buddy's boat but I've been too busy trying to sell it to do any testing.

Poorsche - speaking of expenses, my complete redo of motors, drives, interior and sound - just over $20K. Wife just can't understand taking a loss on the boat. I try to tell her that if you keep one of these long enough, you will never get all of your money back out of them.