Who's tweaked a 292?

Notices
Formula

Who's tweaked a 292?

Old 05-06-2005, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's tweaked a 292?

Anyone out there ever procharged, exhaust manifold, chipped a 292 w/ 6.2's? What kind of speed, reliability?-Nick
Old 05-10-2005, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Who's tweaked a 292?

Back to the top. Nickm, I have been lurking quite a while looking for 292 info wondering the same thing. What is the potential for the 292 with small blocks? Anyone know of one with whipple chargers? At what speed does this hull start to get a little too hairy?

I will be in the market soon and debating between the 271 and 292. Thanks for any information.

Dave
Old 05-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Registered

Question Re: Who's tweaked a 292?

Is there anyone out there on this forum that has themselves or knows someone who has tweaked the twin smallblock 292? It is a unique combination of hull and engines and I would think has tremendous potential...
Old 05-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Registered

I've pulled the silent thunder, added full size k-planes and drive showers. Next will be manifolds and flame arresters. After that, we'll see it'll either be whipples or a trade-up to a 353 or 382.

What are you thinking of doing?
Old 05-13-2005, 10:42 PM
Registered

The plan is to order a 292 with the 6.2's and Latham steering. I emailed Formula to see if it possible to have one built with K-planes instead of the Bennett tabs but they replied that their engineering department says the Bennett tabs provide the "best combination". Now I didn't want to argue with them, but replied back with the email below referring to a Powerboat article:

Email to Formula-
"I am curious why the engineering department's opinion is the K-Planes are too large for the 292. Attached is a link to an article from a Powerboat Magazine Feb. 2003 issue on the 271 FASTech (smaller than the 292). They installed Mercury's 280S K-Planes. Below is the second paragraph in the article:

http://www.powerboatmagazine.com/2003features/feb01.php

"We've driven the same boat with the Bennett tabs, and it works fine with them, but we felt for our needs, the more rugged K-Planes were better suited. When we were finished, even we were surprised how much better they made the whole package".

The reason I am asking about the Latham steering and K-Planes is in the future I plan fairly significant horsepower upgrades and would like to have the best combination. So, without engineering's approval, is it not possible to have the 292 built with K-Planes?"

..and Formula still said "no". I understand this is a production boat, but come on...

Bikini - did you have Bennett tabs before the K-planes? Was it a difficult swap? Did it provide a noticable improvement in planing and handling?

My long term plans are possibly Whipple supercharges, but I would like to know how this hull handles that kind of horsepower.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 05-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Registered

I swapped out from the bennets. The other option is to use the victory tabs on the bennet system. The problem I saw with that is that you still have the Slowww bennet (single) hyd pump...the tabs take forever to get where you want them.

Putting K-Planes on took some time, but it wasn't too bad. I used all the formula/bennet wiring, indicators etc. If I had it to do over, I'd order the boat w/o the bennets but with the mechanical indicators, tab switches already run (including the trim pump wiring).

Net result, the boat planes quicker, stays on a plane slower and handles a lot better in the big stuff. I highly recommend full size tabs.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:18 AM
Registered

Bikini Bottom, any gains on removing the silent thunder? How was it taking it off? 1 or 2 sixpacker?!?!?
Old 05-17-2005, 11:58 AM
Registered

Bottom feeder,

It's a 1 packer...Just need a second set of hands once the box is loose to lower it. I haven't had a good speed comparison yet, but it runs well. I do need to get some tips with X silencers, it's way louder. I think with the new tips it will look and sound nice.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:35 PM
Registered

Bikini, just took mine off, 45 minutes, the pain is the inside locknuts when your doing it by yourself, well see this weekend how she runs
Old 05-17-2005, 02:50 PM
Registered

A buddy had has Pro-chargers on 6.2's in his 292. The boat is hard to get on plane with the big props but once it's up it is rock solid into the 80's. I'm not sure what the top end potential is. He can't get it on plane with any bigger props so he has to live with low 80's and a bunch of throttle left. This is his 3rd season with the pro-chargers and not even the slightest problem. He is suppose to do some prop testing with labbed props this spring.

Quick Reply: Who's tweaked a 292?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.