Fuel trickling out of fuel vent

Notices
Formula

Fuel trickling out of fuel vent

Old 05-11-2005, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel trickling out of fuel vent

I filled the boat up after I used it last time and put it in the warehouse. Over the weekend the temps got warm so the warehouse was warmer as well, but not hot at all. There was a constant trickle of fuel out of the vent on the side of the boat. I loosened the fuel cap and it stopped. A couple days later it stared again. I syphoned 1/2 gallon out of it to see if it's going to do it again. Is that normal? I filled it as usual.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fuel trickling out of fuel vent

Kevin,

There is significant expansion of the fuel, especially with 195 gallons. The storage area probably warms up more than you realize. Best not to "top it off" when it is cold. The rack/launch facilities will not allow you to top off on the way back in for this reason.

Noticed a Fountain sitting outside at the marina here in Toledo with so much fuel leaking down the side Sunday the vinyl graphics were lifting off!

The Red Dog is ready to go! Ran her on Sunday and made a few adjustments and just waitng for nice weather. See you soon!

Chris
Old 05-11-2005, 07:24 AM
Registered

I figured it may be the expansion due to heat, I was just surprised to see it because I stopped the pump when I usually do.

Glad to hear the Red Dog's back. I'm sure we'll see you soon. I was supposed to go out today but a customer wants to spend some money with me today! I couldn't reschedule
How'd she run? Where are YOUR pictures???
Originally Posted by RedDog382
Kevin,

There is significant expansion of the fuel, especially with 195 gallons. The storage area probably warms up more than you realize. Best not to "top it off" when it is cold. The rack/launch facilities will not allow you to top off on the way back in for this reason.

Noticed a Fountain sitting outside at the marina here in Toledo with so much fuel leaking down the side Sunday the vinyl graphics were lifting off!

The Red Dog is ready to go! Ran her on Sunday and made a few adjustments and just waitng for nice weather. See you soon!

Chris
Old 05-11-2005, 08:28 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 122 Likes on 63 Posts

Filled mine in Nov. Warm day in March was a nightmare. I had a steady stream coming out the vents. Ended up pumping out 6-8 gallons just to make sure, and think I swallowed 2 mouthfuls in the process
Old 05-11-2005, 09:22 AM
Registered

Nice to know it's nothing broken! Thanks.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
I swallowed 2 mouthfuls in the process
t500hps,

Some professional advice for you.

I had a patient one time who swallowed a little gas helping his son work on the car. On discharge, his concerned wife asked if there were any precautions to consider. I indicated there was only one activity he should definately not engage in for the next few days ... lighting his flatus!

RD

Last edited by RedDog382; 05-11-2005 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dukenrock
Where are YOUR pictures???
In my digital camera I have still not purchased yet! Next up on my list to buy.

Boat ran good. No WOT runs yet ... didn't want to break something first time out! That would bite into the digital camera/computer budget bigtime!
Old 05-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Registered

I had that vent problem before in the winter. What I found is that conventional wisdom says to store the boat bow high so that any water that gets in drains out the bilge drain. Well the fuel vent on my (and most others I've seen) is located at the aft end of the tank, so when it's stored bow high, the air pocket in the tank is up front where it can't escape. Pressure builds up when the temps rise and the expanding air pushes the fuel out the vent. If you lower the bow a bit when it's leaking, the excess air pressure will escape from the vent rather than fuel. Just my observation after having to deal with a dog that smelled like gas for a few days...
Old 05-11-2005, 12:40 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 122 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDog382
t500hps,

Some professional advice for you.

I had a patient one time who swallowed a little gas helping his son work on the car. On discharge, his concerned wife asked if there were any precautions to consider. I indicated there was only one activity he should definately not engage in for the next few days ... lighting his flatus!

RD
I was expecting the professional advice be to not siphon gas out of a tank by sucking on a garden hose. The burps were horrible! If you think gas is bad going down, burping it up tastes even worse!!!! (luckily most of it passed upward!)

the stupid thing is, I think I have overfilled the tanks in the fall every other year for the last 10 years
Old 05-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
I was expecting the professional advice be to not siphon gas out of a tank by sucking on a garden hose.
That too!

Quick Reply: Fuel trickling out of fuel vent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.