242SS bilge drainage . . .

Notices
Formula

242SS bilge drainage . . .

Old 05-15-2005, 05:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 242SS bilge drainage . . .

I'm still getting familiar with my *new* 1991 242. I took the raw sea water pump out yesterday for impeller inspection. Lots of 'fun'.

Anyway, I have noticed some water in the well in the cabin and some in the engine bilge. The cabin well (call it the mini bilge) will drain into the main bilge when the bow is raised slightly. As I work on the boat, and raise/lower the bow for various things, I notice that water keeps re-appearing in the cabin well.

I originally thought that the water from the cabin drains to the engine bilge by a hose that goes over the fuel tank, making it difficult/impossible for it to flow back to the bow. It seems that this is not the case, and that perhaps the two bilge areas are connected closer to the keel of the boat (i.e. by a hose that goes under the fuel tank).

Any insight to the plumbing on this boat would be appreciated.

Much thanks.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 242SS bilge drainage . . .

There was some pretty extensive discussion on this topic a few weeks back, do a search, you'll find it. Bottom line - the engine bilge does communicate with the cabin bilge via drainage system along the keel under the gas tank. Supposedly, Formula included plugs for the cabin bilge. Some guys have theirs, some don't. Mine are (is) gone. Gotta get a plug to stop this drain-back situation.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:19 AM
NO WAKE ENFORCER
Platinum Member

I found my two plugs in the owners manual bag, they look alittle big from what I've read here they are very small holes, when I get the boat back from pressure testing the tank I will see if they fit. I was getting a gas smell in the cabin, but it might be from a hose in the engine compartment, then running into the cabin from the undertank plumbing. I hope its not the tank $$$$ anyone know if they can repair the tank if there is a problem with it?

thanks PJ

I know there isnt a lot of 223's on here, but if anyone needs any info from the owners manual of a 223ls I'd be glad to scan it and email it to you
Old 05-17-2005, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those larger plugs you found may be the Silent Thunder platform plugs. Look under your platform, you'll see two holes approximately 5/8" diameter near front of platform (toward transom). They keep the water in the platform for sound muffling purposes.

If you smell gas, that's not a good thing. Most likely means tank has a leak. Could be a line but,,,,,,,,,,,,,, probably the bottom of the tank.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:36 AM
Registered

I have an SR357--get the same odors sometimes--they come thru the bilge compartments. I also have the problem with the water to the step under the step. It comes from the bilge when the bow is lower than level.

I haven;t found the holes that need plugged but everyone else seems to ahve found them.

Good luck--there were a lot of posting aboutt his in last few weeks in Formula forum.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:04 PM
NO WAKE ENFORCER
Platinum Member

AHH...now that I think about it you are right they are the platform plugs, don't need them drilled a buch of holes in the bottom to get that water out of there. I don't think there is a problem under the tank because its not all the time, it only is present when there is water under the step. Anyone just fill in that whole under step bilge area in with something??

Thanks PJ

anyone need those platform plugs you can have them
Old 05-17-2005, 02:39 PM
Registered

I got some ffedback that the Vacuflush components are installed in that step area. It's the only way to get the vacuum pump lower than the "terlet".

Mine used to have the condensate from the A/C drain there. I got rid of that nistiness by installing a"Condensater" from Mermaid Marine A/C. It works geat--would highly recommend if you;ve got A/C installed.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Registered

Default Re: 223 Manual???

You say you have a manual for that?

(I'm guessing you really meant 223 and not 233)

Anyway, I'd love to have a copy or real thing...(I figure even if it is for a 223ls, it's better than what I have now...)

Thanks!

OFB
Old 06-01-2005, 04:10 PM
NO WAKE ENFORCER
Platinum Member

you have a fax machine? I'd would be glad to fax it to you, if not it will take me a bit to scan it and email it, either way let me know ill get you a copy as soon as I can. it is a 223LS

PJ
Old 06-01-2005, 08:22 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Chuck @ Formula, he knows everything - call and if unavailable leave a voice mail with a description what info you need. 260-724-1412
He's a nice guy / good luck

Quick Reply: 242SS bilge drainage . . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.