Stellings boxes

Notices
Formula

Stellings boxes

Old 05-23-2005, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stellings boxes

I had Stellings boxes installed on my boat last year. I was totally un-educated on these boxes and didn't realize they were adjustable by 2 inches. I am now wanting to raise the X because the props are burried in the water. (I'm spinning a 24p B1 at 5500 to reach 70 )

Can this be done by myself or do I need to have a shop do it? I'm thinking once I put them in the top notch I'll run a labbed 30 or a 28. Any other suggestions on props? 4 or 5 blade??

Thanks
Corey
Old 05-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Default Re: Stellings boxes

Depends on your mechanical expertise. It's a pretty good little job. Not saying you can't do it,but it is is a lot of work for some folks.Maybe if you have a trusted shop,let them do it. Props of choice on 382's are 5 blades but still a lot of trial and error. Robert
Old 05-23-2005, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corey,

I think your props are way too small. I think you would be much happier with some 28 Bravo's. It would pull you back down to around 5000 to 5100 rpm (where you should be) and probably add 4-5 mph.

I'll measure the space between the bottom of my boxes and the lower edge of the transom for you to compare. I can't believe they installed them on the lowest hole.

Last edited by RedDog382; 05-23-2005 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 261 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by lonestar382
I'm thinking once I put them in the top notch I'll run a labbed 30 or a 28. Any other suggestions on props? 4 or 5 blade??

Thanks
Corey
The top notch ( hole) is actually the lowest
setting, the highest is the bottom holes.

You can check where they're set by removing the
side covers.

Most of the one's I've been around have
been set in the middle hole.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:02 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Some of the Stelling boxes have a jack screw in them. You loosen up the bolts on the inside of the boat, take off the side covers and then turn this large nut on the inside. Once you have it at the correct height then you can put it all back together. Can be a little bit of a project but not to hard if you have a unit with the jack screw on it. Make sure that you get the nuts on the inside torqued back down properly as they can move if not and you do not want to over tighten them.....

Jon
Old 05-31-2005, 05:23 PM
Registered

Hey RedDog,

Did you ever get a chance to measure your distance from the bottom of the box to the bottom of the hull? Im curious to see what the difference is. I agree that I should be turning at least 28's. When I got the boat it had 28's, then went back to National Marine for the boxes and came back with 24's. I was thinking WTF??? After studying up more on the stellings, I pulled the inspection covers, and there they were in the lowest setting (top holes)
I guess i'll have one of my local shops do the work

I sure wish I had the boxes with the jack feature

Corey
Old 05-31-2005, 10:35 PM
Registered

Corey,

Just thought about you when I washed the boat today. It's in the water overnight tonight for trailer maintenance, but when I get it back on the trailer I will get the measurement and post.

Chris
Old 06-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Registered

Corey,

Just pulled the boat tonight and did the measurement for you. It's 3 1/8" from the bottom of the Stellings box to the bottom edge of the transom on my 382. Hope this is helpful.

Sorry for the delay.

Chris
Old 06-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Registered

Good to know, I'll measure mine when I get to the office in the morning. Thanks for the help Chris

Corey
Old 06-03-2005, 09:53 PM
Registered

I think I just figured out why I can only turn a 24" prop

From the bottom of my stellings box to the bottom of the transom is a whopping.......................................... .........3/4"

I think I'll definitely raise the box to the highest setting, and then maybe I can run some bigger wheels.

Corey

Quick Reply: Stellings boxes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.