Bleeding hydrolic steering

Notices
Formula

Bleeding hydrolic steering

Old 06-17-2005, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeding hydraulic steering

I will be replacing a defective Latham Marine Dual-T thru hull fitting for my outdrives. (If I can get my short arms to reach the fitting in the engine compartment) Once I disassemble and reinstall all of the hydraulic lines, I will need to bleed the system. Can someone give me the 'Bleeding for dummies" version of this process? Thanks.

Last edited by dukenrock; 06-27-2005 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:32 AM
Registered

Default Re: Bleeding hydrolic steering

I bleed the tabs by running up and down...I'd guess the steering would be the same since they're a similair ram design. Exercise the system real well to make sure you get all the bubbles out.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Banned

I know I've done it before, I think all I did was work the steering back and forth a few times, then check the level.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Registered

Should self bleed by working steering back and forth. I had a trim ram rebuilt.... real easy, hook the lines up, top off with fluid and work it, no magic.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin,

It should be as simple as described above. Top off fluid, start engine and turn steereing wheel slowly lock to lock five or six times. Refill fluid.

I thought she was going back to the factory to replace the fitting(?).
Old 06-17-2005, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your Lathum steering system uses an open reservoir (non-pressurized), which I would think it does, then just turning the wheel lock to lock will bleed it out. It's the same with drive hydraulics and tab hydraulics. It has nothing to do with cylinder or ram design, it's the open reservoir with low pressure return lines that allows this.

You won't have any problems, it'll bleed out fairly quick.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Registered

I will need to purchase one of those garden hose units so that I can run the motors out of the water. Good place to buy one?

Formula was gracious enough to repair the top unit that had a hairline crack. The second unit, started leaking after they repaired the first one. I think Latham had a defective run on these units, or possibly they were tightened too much...not sure. This one's leaking pretty good and leaves an awefull mess on the back. I really don't want to bother Formula if I can repair it myself. I was looking at it last night and it looks like I can get it done, but I have to purchase a large open end wrench to fit the nut inside the boat. Also may need a couple of cold cocktails.
Originally Posted by RedDog382
Kevin,

It should be as simple as described above. Top off fluid, start engine and turn steereing wheel slowly lock to lock five or six times. Refill fluid.

I thought she was going back to the factory to replace the fitting(?).
Old 06-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Registered

Chris,
Your arms are longer than mine. Would you care to do the swap while I make the drinks? Besides, your boats all done and I'm sure you're itching to work onsomething that is boat related.
Originally Posted by dukenrock
I will need to purchase one of those garden hose units so that I can run the motors out of the water. Good place to buy one?

Formula was gracious enough to repair the top unit that had a hairline crack. The second unit, started leaking after they repaired the first one. I think Latham had a defective run on these units, or possibly they were tightened too much...not sure. This one's leaking pretty good and leaves an awefull mess on the back. I really don't want to bother Formula if I can repair it myself. I was looking at it last night and it looks like I can get it done, but I have to purchase a large open end wrench to fit the nut inside the boat. Also may need a couple of cold cocktails.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:51 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure that you keep the fluids full in the pump. At first it will go down quickly. Make sure you get ALL the air out. You can grab the drives and push them side to side as hard as you can. If they move then you still have air in there. Also some times you will make a lot of small air bubbles while doing this. While the boat sits all the small bubbles will make a big one. Then you will get play again. So you may want to do this a few times, waite then do it again.

Jon
Old 06-17-2005, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dukenrock
Chris,
Your arms are longer than mine. Would you care to do the swap while I make the drinks?
When do we start?

Neighbors would just love to see two of them sitting side by side in the driveway together!

Quick Reply: Bleeding hydrolic steering

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.