311 Gauge Replacement

Notices
Formula

311 Gauge Replacement

Old 08-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 311 Gauge Replacement

Ok, my mechanic says it is time to throw my VDO's in the bin. I know a lot of you have done "upgrades". What panel(s) did you use, what gauges and what was the approximate cost? Need to do it this winter, so I would like to start collecting parts.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Registered

Default Re: 311 Gauge Replacement

The biggest pain in the a$$ will be changing the fuel sender. VDO uses an a$$-backwards range compared to Livorsi/Gaffrid and rest of world. THere is no way to get around that so look at how difficult it will be to cahnge that out andf make sure the sender matches whatever gauge package you buy. Avoid the RedLine series from Gaffrig--lousy reliability.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:56 AM
Registered

I understand that all of the senders are backwards and will have to be replaced. My temp and oil pressure gauges on one side are acting up and the illumination (with all new VDO bulbs no less) is going south in a hurry. So, I gotta do it. Isn't the fuel sender gauge on the tank just forward of the engine compartment?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaWeasel
Isn't the fuel sender gauge on the tank just forward of the engine compartment?
Yes, it's on the rear of the tank. You can easily access the tank flange from the engine bay.

I need to keep up on this thread too. My stock gauges suck! Can't see them for chit at night. So, all the questions you're asking SeaWeasel, will help me too.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Registered

I replaced all the VDO's with gaffrigs.

I changed all the senders becasue they were cheap enough and 15 years old. I had a tough time getting tto the fuel sender becaus of the way we installed the genset--right over the sender at the rear of the tank.

Like I said--just avoid the RedLine series--great idea--it just doesn't work and isn't at all reliable.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
Yes, it's on the rear of the tank. You can easily access the tank flange from the engine bay.
You can get to the flange from the engine bay but the unit is too long to pull out of the tank because it hits on the rear seat bottom. I don't know how you're supposed to get it out - it was probably in the tank when the boat was assembled and no thought was given to replacing it.

Last edited by wantsa311; 08-04-2005 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:33 AM
Registered

Poorsche- do you have any pictures of your new set-up? No red-lines, so did you use monster? I assume you had to buy/make a panel? Who did the work? What did you spend? Why do we all own old boats? Oh, yeah, no 7 figure income . . . .
Old 08-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Registered

I replaced the RedLine guages (water temp, fuel and oil pressure) with regular Gaffirg guages. I just installed them in the holes that were already in the dash. I've been trying to make a template for new dash insert forever with no luck. I'm not a tool and die maker or even a draftsman so I can't even get close to a template.

My dash is a real complicated shape with compund curves and angles so its not an easy job.

I can send you pictures when I get home are you could do a search for my posts and I think there are pictures of the dash somewhere on here.

I kind of like my old resin bucket--especially since it's paid for and keeping it running is good therapy.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Registered

I am with you on the therapy issue- my boat was about 99% when I bought it, but at 15 years old they all have "issues". It only has 250hrs or so on it, but LOTO is a rough SOB and stuff goes south if you don't stay on it. I will look for the pics.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wantsa311
You can get to the flange from the engine bay but the unit is too long to pull out of the tank because it hits on the rear seat bottom. I don't know how you're supposed to get it out - it was probably in the tank when the boat was assembled and no thought was given to replacing it.
Are you sure about that wnatsa??? Although I have not had to pull the sender in my 311, it appears there is plenty of room to get it up and out. Have you actually tried it?

It would really suck big time to have to dissect the boat to get the fuel gauge senser out.

Quick Reply: 311 Gauge Replacement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.