My windsheild exploded!!!!

Notices
Formula

My windsheild exploded!!!!

Old 08-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My windsheild exploded!!!!

In my 311 yesterday out in the middle of no where on Lake Mojave in AZ she shattered. Just stopped from a little run to pull vacuum gauges off motors and while floating POP!. Starboard side front glass completely fractures. Was way to far away from anybody or thing to have been hit by something. I am glad that it did not happen at speed or I would still be spitting glass bits. Anybody know why this happened? Where am I gonna get new glass for a '90 311? Thanks.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:16 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My windsheild exploded!!!!

you might be f-ed. I've heard horror stories about old formula glass. The other night I had my pocket pc gps with suction cup on windshield running hard and the mount broke and it went flying - first thought was better than the glass.

Call Chuck at Formula - 260-724-1412
Old 08-22-2005, 12:40 AM
Registered

Hmmmm........heard of this but have not seen it.....
Old 08-22-2005, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I've seen it on the Pachanga's of the day. In fact a local incident w/one drove me to take the w/s apart on my 27' Pac back in 90/91' to attempt a better fit in the frame of the port curved section (an edge was showing). I didn't want my X cut up like I had seen people get when they shatter underway.

This was early in the curved glass era. I think Taylor has come a long way in both quality and tempering of the glass since then.

I'm just not a fan of glass on a perf boat. One of the things I don't like about the Formula is the "no choice but glass".
Old 08-22-2005, 08:01 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard of it on the highway which you can always blame on a stone but this is the first time I've heard of it on the water(short of stuffing it).
Old 08-22-2005, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dustin ... keep us posted on what you find out .... I would like to replace the frame and all the gaskets ....

I tried to call a guy I know that knows alot about the older formulas ......he is out till Tues .. let ya know ..m

Last edited by offthefront; 08-22-2005 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:03 AM
Registered

I blew out the left front on my 93 271, mine was on the interstate. This was around a year ago, I am still finding glass! It is every where, in every opening, even in the cushions and closed compartments?

As far as the windshield goes, mine was made by Aldon , there's was a small tag on the right side glass. Aldon sold off the windshield business to Taylor. Taylor does not support the Aldon products of this age I spent a lot of time chasing this down and it seems like I was SOL as far as getting a replacement glass. I had a one quote of around 3K for a custom replacement glass, not worth it. I was thinking of removing the windshield or cutting it down and making a faring, it was going to take more time than I had to give. I wound up getting a piece of Plexi glass (not real plexi) that has a green tint made to replace tempered glass. I made a card board template, layed it out and cut it. Then just bent the plastic into the frame. I did not need heat, it just rolled into place. I did need a helper to get the top of the frame on, second set of hands to hold it from popping out.

As far as results, I can see that the green is not exactly the same shade. It looks good to everyone else. It has lasted the season so far, no problems. For the $150 in plastic and a few hours of time, its the best choice until I can find real window
Old 08-23-2005, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that it should matter, but was it really hot? I had a window in my car explode one really hot sunny day. Freak accident, but it happens.

Last edited by wantsa311; 08-23-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:13 AM
Registered

DustinM Call this place, Marine Glass Specialty, ask for George. ph.1-813-926-3717 there in Fl. I bought a port side curved glass from him last year for my 1989 311. I believe he's the only one around that has glass for these old birds, not CHEAP but I was just happy to find one. Propwash
Old 08-24-2005, 06:43 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies guys. I never got a call back from Formula today but will call them again tomorrow. I will see what they recomend.

Propwash, I will call George tomorrow also. Thanks!

I'm putting her up for sale soon and spending more $$$ on it is not what I wanted to do.

Quick Reply: My windsheild exploded!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.