Formula

353 Performance Question

Old 08-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 353 Performance Question

Do any of you Formula men know what on can expect from a 2005 353 with 525's and ITS extenssion's in terms of:

1) top speed
2) rough water handing (ocean stuff)

I have an 04 Fountain 29 and am looking to upgrade. Really love Formula and the 353 that is being used for the Formula brochure (inside cover) and has 32 hours on it is available. Just trying to see if I got the straight scoop from the salesmen.... Much thanks in advance!!
Old 08-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Registered

Default Re: 353 Performance Question

Well - mine's an 04 but that oughta be close enough. I think there may be some difference in the props from the factory though - I think they're using the 5 blades now and I'm running 4 blade labbed 32's - anyway.

Top Speed completely maxed out = about 85. Top speed still trimmed to a sane level = about 82 - 83.

rought water handling = AWESOME. Drives out a little, tabs down a touch and let er rip.

btw - if you're buying a new formula you MUST talk to Robert Nelems. He's located in Jasper, AL but sells Fastec's from coast to coast. He's a super guy and if he say's it you can take it to the bank and he will be very competitive - ask around on this board a little about him - Magic Float is his OSO id.

Last edited by restabr; 08-22-2005 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:26 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

restaber is right.we see 85 or so with no boxes or with ITS. With Stellings boxes we see a little more,sometimes 87-88 with 5 blades. ITS does not really improve performance,but the Stellings do.ITS cleans up the transom a little if you like that,and a little easier install for Formula,but price is about the same. Most of the ITS boats we sold were stock boats,when I order I get Stellings,but ITS is a nice,clean package. No problems with ITS,Stellings is better IMHO,but if you can get a deal on that one and like everything else,go for,you will be happy with it. Robert
Old 08-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

did all the '06 brochure boats go to Trenton?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:04 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: 353 Performance Question

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
restaber is right.we see 85 or so with no boxes or with ITS. With Stellings boxes we see a little more,sometimes 87-88 with 5 blades. ITS does not really improve performance,but the Stellings do.ITS cleans up the transom a little if you like that,and a little easier install for Formula,but price is about the same. Most of the ITS boats we sold were stock boats,when I order I get Stellings,but ITS is a nice,clean package. No problems with ITS,Stellings is better IMHO,but if you can get a deal on that one and like everything else,go for,you will be happy with it. Robert
Thanks a bunch. The salesman quoted mid 80's but also said the weight was 9100 lbs, while the brochures claims 8500. Guess one is dry and the other not. I was looking at the new Donzi 35 - 38 ZR and Fountain's 38. All nice boats, but the Formula always draws me when I am hunting for boats. For past purchases I have always decided the look touch and feel of the Formula spanks everything else. I look at 10 year old Formula's and love the look and how the boats held up. But the performance quest always pulls me the other way. Can this boat with wipples (it has 525's) and the right extenssion box's do 95 - 100 safely? Can it handle at slower speeds 4 - 6 foot ocean swells? I heard a guy at the local "marine performance center say "when the water gets rough at the races, Formula is always the first factory boat in". Not sure the source was not pulling for his boats etc.

I am throwing this out there because my heart leans this way, but I want to know what I am getting and what I would be up against. I REALLY appreciate all your input! Can't afford to screw this one up...
Old 08-22-2005, 09:34 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

You will never screw up when you buy a Formula,and it's nothing to me since you are not in my sales territory anyway,but I have to say that I have never had an unhappy Formula buyer. Go for it,you will be pleased. Robert
Old 08-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Appreciated. The dealer in my area is stand up but to the best of my knowledge doesn't travel these circles. Glad you do and you are a stand up guy as well, so thanks. Any feel on what will happen to this hull when pushed to 700 - 800 hp?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not doing 90 but I like my 353 very much.

Just a dam good boat overall. Does everything on the list well. Packed with amenities...that list is long.

They are a top quality PRODUCTION boat, and it shows...both now and later.

Edit: as a footnote to that, let me say I just had the drives off to grease U-joints, check alignment ect. Both alignments right-on still at 147 hours. This says good things about the build process.
Attached Thumbnails 353 Performance Question-boat-11.jpg   353 Performance Question-boat-12.jpg  

Last edited by Rippem; 08-22-2005 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Don't really want to go there A 353 can handle 100 mph,we had one Procharged boat there a couple years ago,Gps'd at 99.5,felt good to me.but the Bravos will not feel good unless you are extremely careful.Depends on what you expect. Karen has driven our 600 boat at 90+,but she knows performance boats.Depends on your level of skill,not quite stab and steer,but we both feel comfotable in it,tabs up,drives at about 4 or 5,nice ride.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:24 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Rippem
I'm not doing 90 but I like my 353 very much.

Just a dam good boat overall. Does everything on the list well. Packed with amenities...that list is long.

They are a top quality PRODUCTION boat, and it shows...both now and later.

Edit: as a footnote to that, let me say I just had the drives off to grease U-joints, check alignment ect. Both alignments right-on still at 147 hours. This says good things about the build process.
Yep, may work for me. The picture's by the way are beautiful. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 353 Performance Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.