Notices
Formula

Hip Replacement-kind of off topic

Old 09-02-2005, 05:08 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hip Replacement-kind of off topic

Should probrably post this somewhere else but with all the current Katrina problems mine is very minor, so I thought I would post here for advice. Looks like after the wreck in Dec 03, my shattered hip is getting worse instead of better. Getting tough to walk,pain is getting worse. Went to a doctor today that I trust,he said the only way out is a hip replacement,I will only get worse,he recommended a total replacement now. He said 3-4 days in the hospital,maybe 6 weeks on crutches,walker,etc.Doesn't sound like fun,but at age 61 I want to be able to walk to the mailbox and get in and out of a 353/382/600's without the pain I am having now. Who has had this done or know someone that has? When I left the hospital after the wreck I swore I would never go back voluntarily,but it is my call now. Advice or comments would be appreciated. Robert
Old 09-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Hip Replacement-kind of off topic

seen and talked to hundreds of patients pre and post-op.

DO IT!

...if your doctors are confident it's the only alternative to a life of pain.
a potentially growing dependence on pain meds, or limited mobility, are certianly even less desirable than surgery.

hip and knee prosthetics are very routine. Don't get me wrong, it's major surgery...but very, very well proven techniques and parts.

be rid of the pain that is infringing on your quality of life
in 3-4 months you'll never even know it was done.

Good luck.

Randy
Old 09-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mother did it on one hip a long time ago and swore she wouldn't do it again, long recovery process.

Finally 10 years later she had the other one done and a world of difference in her recovery. Much less blood loss and pain. She was out of the hospital in 5 days and on a walker for 4-6 weeks then a cane for a while.

She wonders why she waited so long to have the other one done. She was scared from the first time. They have come a long way since her first one and probably just as much since the second one.

I would do it.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Banned

Robert, a friend of mine was about your age when he had it done. His hip was getting so bad, he was really getting depressed, and he was one of the most fun guys I've ever known. He wasn't himself for a while, it was like he was just waiting to die. After he had his hip replaced, and rehabed, he was back to his old self again. I am so glad he did it.

Go for it, and good luck.
Joe
Old 09-02-2005, 07:43 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

Robert, my neighbor across the street had his done a few months back... he is better than ever he say's now. Last weekend after Katrina blew through, he helped me saw down a 25' oak tree and carry it and stack it... he worked as hard as I did for 4 hours straight. If I hadn't known he had the surgery, you could have fooled me all the way to the bank... he's out playing golf today and tomorrow too, he does NOT own a golf cart either, he's 60.

Jim
Old 09-02-2005, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
Should probrably post this somewhere else but with all the current Katrina problems mine is very minor, so I thought I would post here for advice. Looks like after the wreck in Dec 03, my shattered hip is getting worse instead of better. Getting tough to walk,pain is getting worse. Went to a doctor today that I trust,he said the only way out is a hip replacement,I will only get worse,he recommended a total replacement now. He said 3-4 days in the hospital,maybe 6 weeks on crutches,walker,etc.Doesn't sound like fun,but at age 61 I want to be able to walk to the mailbox and get in and out of a 353/382/600's without the pain I am having now. Who has had this done or know someone that has? When I left the hospital after the wreck I swore I would never go back voluntarily,but it is my call now. Advice or comments would be appreciated. Robert
Make sure you find an orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in hip replacements and/or joint replacements. If you can find a hospital with a joint center or a high number of hip replacements done per year you are more likely to receive competent care. Hope this helps and good luck, chronic pain is not fun.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:24 PM
Registered

Next door neighbor had both his done, one at a time, been about 5 months and he is alot better off now than before!! good luck and don't wait too long. It'll be spring 06 before you know it.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a couple of blown-out discs in my lower back due to excessive snowmobile speeds over bumps that were WAY too big. I just drink more rum, works every time.

But seriously, good luck with whatever you chose to do.

Dave
Old 09-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with all of the above. Miracles of modern science and technology have greatly improved this procedure and long-term outcomes. Just ask around for the doc that has the most experience and happiest post-op patients.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:17 AM
Registered

previous owner of my business had it done and was very happy with the outcome,,,and he was in his seventies,,recovery took about 4 months for him but by then he was back to playing nine holes of golf a couple of times a week...good luck no matter what you do.

Quick Reply: Hip Replacement-kind of off topic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.