Notices
Formula

Marine Inovation Sucks

Old 09-08-2005, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marine Inovation Sucks

Lost the port motor in the 01 312, 502 mag mpi 130 hrs, full of oil no overheating, Running up the lake at 4600 rpms, Just got done looking over the guages everthing is fine all of a sudden the port motor sounds like somebody took a jackhammer to it and it shuts down. Open the engine compartment and find no oil in the bilge or parts.

Limp back to the marina on one engine pull the boat, And take it to the nearest formula dealer (Lakeport Landing NH) We have 2 years remaining on the Formula Guard Warranty, So wanted to do everthing that there procdures call for, Lakeport pulls the spark plugs on the motor and finds the #5 plug is smashed, so we know we have an issue with that cylinder.

They pull the motor and send it off to there local machine shop that does all there engine work for tear down and further inspection to see what the damage is to start the repair process and submit the claim to formula guard, The machine shop had found that the exhaust valve had broke and took out the piston as it was flying around in the cyldner.

I get a call from the service writer at lakeport and he informs me that the claim was rejected, And the reason was because marine Inovations DOES NOT cover broken valves, They cover Bent Valves, Tuliped Valves, Burnt Valves, Valve Springs, Retainers and guides, Only the head had broken off and the stem and springs and keepers were all still intact on the head so they rejected the claim, I gave them a call and the guy i spoke to was name (Rodney) who i got absolutly no where with to argue my case, I told him the valve had to of bent before it broke and he kept telling me they don't cover broken valves.

So now i am out $8,000.00 on a motor with 130hrs driven under normal conditions for a part that was faulty that i am stuck paying for, Everthing else in the motor is covered except broken valves, How stupid is that??? And whats the sense of having a warranty for when you need it you can't use it??? Jeff
Old 09-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Registered

Default Re: Marine Inovation Sucks

That blows big time. Time to get a lawyer...

If the battle totally goes downhill, I'd call 1800RUNSNEW in Holliston, MA for a new base 502 and put your accessories on it. I belive it's basically the same base motor that Merc buys. Another option is to get that cylinder bored and get 1 new piston and the heads rebuilt. That should save some $$.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, sorry for your misfortune.

Second, thier claim denial seems pretty flimsy. The same malfunctions the "Bend" valves also "Break" valves. Seems pretty loophole-ish to me.

Time for a contract lawyer.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My thoughts are the same, At this point i was considering having my corporate lawyer take a look at this because everybody i talk to to that have mechanical knowledge all say the same thing that its bull****!! Jeff
Old 09-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by formuladude312
My thoughts are the same, At this point i was considering having my corporate lawyer take a look at this because everybody i talk to to that have mechanical knowledge all say the same thing that its bull****!! Jeff
I've never saw a piece of metal break without bending at least a little somewhat 1st, even if on the microscopic level. So your's bent, and unfortunately broke before inspection. Since they cover bent valves, you should be covered. See if you can get an expert metallurgist to verify this for you, then attach that statement to a letter from your attorney. I wouldn't try go without an attorney at this point since they are going to drag this out most likely, so you might as well get the process started.

BTW - it stinks there aren't any good Formula dealers in New England. I think Lake Port's work stinks. They replaced a bilge pump in my friend's boat - they didn't mount it properly, and used a tie wrap on the water hose instead of a hose clamp .
Old 09-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jaybird
I've never saw a piece of metal break without bending at least a little somewhat 1st, even if on the microscopic level. So your's bent, and unfortunately broke before inspection. Since they cover bent valves, you should be covered. See if you can get an expert metallurgist to verify this for you, then attach that statement to a letter from your attorney. I wouldn't try go without an attorney at this point since they are going to drag this out most likely, so you might as well get the process started.

BTW - it stinks there aren't any good Formula dealers in New England. I think Lake Port's work stinks. They replaced a bilge pump in my friend's boat - they didn't mount it properly, and used a tie wrap on the water hose instead of a hose clamp .
Jaybird, You are correct about lake port, They had repaired a intake gasket on the starbord motor and it look like they just dump the oil on my rear seat and just wiprd it of and left all the residue on the white vinyl.

I spoke to my lawyer 2 min ago and low and behold he is familiar with engines from he college days and says we have a valid arguement, We need firs the inspection to find WHY the valve broke and find that cause if a guide or a retainer seized and did not allow the valve to return which inturn was broken off by the piston then he feels it should be covered, If we find that the valve was faulty and does 130hrs is normal for valves to fail then merc will have to be responsible for it so i need to talk to Petersons machine shop to have them take alook at it alittle closer Jeff
Old 09-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Banned

Is that the same Innovation that's in Sarasota??????
Old 09-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Registered

I believe it's the warranty company that services the Formula Guard coverage, not the engine builders.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda
Is that the same Innovation that's in Sarasota??????
no 'cuda, it's the name of the 3rd party warranty company.

Passport
Formula Guard
Z-Care
ect.

Marine innovations underwrites all of them. It's basically an ins company...you know what that means to the consumer in terms of getting screwed!

Formula needs to get hip to the fact that they are no doubt feeding Marine Innovations a good sum of money a year, using it as a sales tool (quoting in the propaganda how much it's "worth") and yet too many claims are denied, and otherwise happy owners are getting pissed...and pissed at Formula for talking this bullsh!t coverage up so much.

312...I'd give Formula a call also, see if they'll go to bat for you.

It seems too often this "coverage" that is priced into this EXPENSIVE boat isn't worth the paper it's written on!
Old 09-08-2005, 05:18 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 129 Likes on 65 Posts

I had the EXACT same thing (down to the same cylinder) happen in my 98 312 502mags this spring. Too bad mine was out of warranty though. Good Luck getting it repaired.

Quick Reply: Marine Inovation Sucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.