Notices
Formula

Changing the older black dash

Old 09-13-2005, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: Changing the older black dash

Originally Posted by offthefront
Anyone know if the dash is fiberglass ? Seems I read were its not ...Mine has a couple of cracks and I was wondering what it would take to repair ..bad thing is one crack is up close to the windshield . I would think it would have to removed for the repairs ...

The Dash is a plastic composite. The best way to fix/paint the dash would be to remove the windsheild. The windsheild takes about an hour to remove. Just make sure you have a few friends to help you carry it off the boat. To fix any cracks I would use durabond which is a fiberglass filler.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dgduck13
The Dash is a plastic composite. The best way to fix/paint the dash would be to remove the windsheild. The windsheild takes about an hour to remove. Just make sure you have a few friends to help you carry it off the boat. To fix any cracks I would use durabond which is a fiberglass filler.
Thanks for the info Don ... I wonder if the Gaskets around the Windshield are Generic ? Or would yo have to get them from Formula which might not even stock them anymore .....m
Old 09-14-2005, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for the info Don ... I wonder if the Gaskets around the Windshield are Generic ? Or would yo have to get them from Formula which might not even stock them anymore .....m
The gasket is sticky backed foam that you can get from any home improvemnt store. Just make sure that the width is right. To install place the sticky side towards the winsheild and the non sticky side goes on the boat.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Don ...but Also you know the Black Gasket that is on the outside ..about 2" wide .....and also the black strip up the middle of the widshield needs replaced ..... might have to get that from Formula ....
Old 09-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Re: Changing the older black dash

1997 353 Fastech Getting the dash painted on my boat was work prepping for it definately worth it. I removed all dash panels, compartment doors, glove compartment door, windshield and went the extra mile to make sure everything was taped off before bringing it to the body shop who painted it. Man he did an awesome job no streaks and no signs of that nasty origional black. I also replaced the old gauges with new Livorsi guages and changed the sterring wheel to match the colored bezels as well. The pads in the interior were also black so I had them redone in White as well. The only thing left black is the sliding cabin door and the side compartment doors but otherwise its now all white like the newer ones. Makes the boat look a lot newer that it is. I'll try to post a picture this weekend of the interior so you can see how it turned out.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Registered

jveltman,
Sounds like you put in alot of time and effort. What are you going to have in the whole job for cost? You sure it's a 97 353, I didn't think Formula made one until 98.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Registered

Don, absolutely awesome job......
Old 09-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Registered

How in the hell can you do that ??????? It'll be -20 degrees up where your gona be !!!!!!

I ain't there yet. It's just a thought that's crossed my mind, and IF I did go back, I'll be back in FL. for 3 months during the winter, that's the only way I could handle it.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cuda
The one's I've seen changed to white look funny to me. Instead of changing the dash, change the guages over to platinum or something.

I agree with Cuda. I don't even like the all white on my 382 dash. Needs more color. White is becoming "outdated". Just look at the new Formula brochures!

I would stay black and add some black/grey or red (the dominant color) carbon fiber dash panels with platinum guages and contrasting bezels.

Less money and, more importantly, less time.

Last edited by RedDog382; 09-15-2005 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dgduck13
Hi All-

I painted my boat and dash last winter. A few pictures are below. Also is the link to the entire project. I think it looks great. The best part is that no matter how hot it gets down here in FL the paint stays cool.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ht=project+311

Any questions let me know.
Don

Looks great! Why didn't you do the easy part? (the guages and dash panels)

Quick Reply: Changing the older black dash

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.