Notices
Formula

removing silent thunder boxes

Old 11-12-2005, 05:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing silent thunder boxes

one of my winter projects is removal of the silent thunder boxes on my 1998 353 and conversion to tailpipes and mufflers. i am guessing that some people out there have done this. if you can help me out with shortcuts and avoiding mistakes i would be most appreciative.

thanks
augie
Old 11-12-2005, 06:58 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 122 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: removing silent thunder boxes

It's very simple. The "box is held by 4 bolts and just drops away. You'll need replacement tips and mufflers. (Call TRICK!)
Old 11-12-2005, 07:53 AM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

If you don't mind it being loud,you can put clamp on rubber flappers on the existing short tips. May run afoul of some noise laws tho.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:08 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
If you don't mind it being loud,you can put clamp on rubber flappers on the existing short tips. May run afoul of some noise laws tho.
Robert, Are you sure that the 1 inch tips would be OK. They seem so short I thought it may cause a problem, but don't know what that may be. The factory tips already have a decent flapper inside them to keep the water out, so I'd rather use them.

Last edited by t500hps; 11-12-2005 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:20 AM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

We have used them for years with no problems. We leave the internal flappers in,the rubber ones are just an extra safeguard.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Registered

I did that on my 89' 311 last winter. Took off the "box" swapped to EMI Thunder exhaust (aluminum/saved 84 lbs per motor) and Stainless Marine tips with the internal "superflapper". Figure I lost at least 200 lbs. with losing the box.

Here some pix.
Attached Thumbnails removing silent thunder boxes-boatrunnning-014-small-.jpg   removing silent thunder boxes-boatrunnning-013-small-.jpg   removing silent thunder boxes-boatrunnning-006-small-.jpg  

Old 02-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

how about some help. my boat is a 98 353 with the silent thunder boxes under the swim platform. i have removed the bolts under the rear lip and the couple thru the transom and the box is not falling out . i have pryied the **** out of it , did formula glue the box to the underside of the swim platform ? your help is appreciated

thanks
Old 02-02-2006, 08:11 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by augie58
how about some help. my boat is a 98 353 with the silent thunder boxes under the swim platform. i have removed the bolts under the rear lip and the couple thru the transom and the box is not falling out . i have pryied the **** out of it , did formula glue the box to the underside of the swim platform ? your help is appreciated

thanks
I have a 98 312 with the same box and removed mine 2 months ago (haven't even run it yet) I remember it stayed in place after I removed the bolts but it did come out fairly easily. I can't remember if you have to pull the portion closest to the transom down first or the end farthest from the transom first. there is a lip at the end of the swim platform that kinda holds the thing in place. Also there are rubber gaskets that seal around 1 inch exhaust pipes that come out of the transom.
HEY, That is what is holding the thing on still!!!! Pull down around the 4 rectangular exhaust ports. Once that comes down an inch or 2 pull down and back to remove the box from the 4 tips.

I was going to put new tips on the back of the boat but have just put rubber flappers on the existing tips. Magicfloat said it would work and it appears it will be just fine.

Good Luck
Old 02-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

i used a closet pole as a pry bar inserting it in the rectangular rear openings and could not get the boxes to drop. i just have visions of someone on the assembly line putting a big gob of adhesive between the platform and the silent thunder box to "make sure it doesn't rattle" . i am thinking of bringing a sawzall and slicing the box open.
oh the fun of boating.

more suggestings are appreciated.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Registered

Don't sawzall it. As I recall mine had a bead of caulk at the back edge that I cut thru with a utility knife. Then there's adhesive around the exhaust openings and as was said, the exhaust tips are only about an inch long. But the box fits pretty tight around them. After cutting the caulk at the back end, I did the closet pole/broom handle and it dropped about 2 or 3 inches at the back and that was it. I used a pry bar on one end at the transom and then pulled it straight back to get it off the exhaust tips and it came off.

Quick Reply: removing silent thunder boxes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.