Notices
Formula

water in v-berth

Old 11-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: water in v-berth

Originally Posted by RedDog382
There is a possibility you may have water entering through a deck hatch also. I pulled the hatches on my 311 and re-sealed them.
Even if the hatches were leaking, it should not build up water. It should drain to the bilge.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:22 AM
Registered

Are you sure it's water.....and not just Coor Lite?
Old 11-30-2005, 02:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cuda
Even if the hatches were leaking, it should not build up water. It should drain to the bilge.

... unless she is sitting nose down with her back-end in the air.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:25 AM
Banned

... unless she is sitting nose down with her back-end in the air.
My first diagnosis.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:19 PM
Registered

If you have an anchor locker, check the bottom of it for holes.
Mine had several small holes from the anchor pounding on the bottom. I patched the holes, and don't keep the anchor in the locker and more, no more water.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Another option might be checking your deck rails. I found out the HARD way that my new/used Fountain had some leaking issues when I got caught in a huge storm hours after picking it up and my V-berth was soaked. Currently, my headliners are all down and the rail is off pending reattachment and a better seal around the bolts. Good luck, water IN the boat sucks...water out of the boat is real real nice.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cuda
My first diagnosis.
Or favorite position ... ?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:18 PM
Banned

Or favorite position ... ?
Yeah, I found that out the hard way. I was working on the electrical in my 242. I had the hatch up, and couldn't put it down that night. It rained for the next seven days. I had a tarp over the engine, but couldn't put the full cover on the boat because the hatch was up.

I was leaving for work one morning, Deb walked out with me to the truck. When I was getting in, she said, "Look at this". The jack had punched through the asphalt! I got up in the boat, and the cabin had a lot of water in it. I had to go to work, so Debbie got in the cabin with a five gallon bucket, and bailed enough so we could jack the trailer up higher and get the rest to run out the back.

So ends the lesson.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rlv1017
hey guys, my wife and i just got an 88 242ls. this is our first Formula . I have learned alot just going through this forum. I need a little help figuring out how my v-berth floor is filling with water when the boat is just sitting on the trailer.the deck hatches are covered,and the door leading to the berth was covered. Is there a drain from the berth to the engine compartment? The only place that i could think that it may be coming from, is the engine compartment. There is rain water in the engine compartment. Thanks for any help.

uuuhhhh exacltly!!! My 87 242ls has same prob when I bought it. Boat sat through two hurricanes in Boynton Beach and owner said that the well pump wouldn't work--that's another story... anyway...I had the boat covered and the rain at home (ATL) still got water in cabin floor.
This model boat does not have a drain, only a well. I wish it did have a drain.
The cover I used did not cover the windshield so that is how I found the windshield mounting screws leaking water into the cabin.
If your boat had a lot of time in the sun then you will want to remove the windshield glass and replace the rubber seals also. Both the seals under the glass frame and between the glass and frame. This boat sat in the Fla sun and everything the sun got to is baked. I have my windshield off and stripped down but don't have the stripping yet.
Check the well pump. It pushed the water out but I don't know where it was originally routed. Former owner ran it to the rear bilge but the looks of things in the cabin makes me think that it may have tied into the sink drain and out the side.
If you find the hose routing post what you find. I would like to route mine the original way.
I got a fax from Ryan at Formula about this plumbing but it was no help.

Welcome to OSO and good times.

What color is your boat? Rear platform?

Last edited by aquaforce; 12-02-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Registered

aquaforce, does your boat have a bilge pump in the well? i double checked, i dont have any drains in the well, or in the wall behind it. Ryan at formula does say that there should be a drain connecting to the engine bilge(other people here say the same). I wonder if some boats do,and some don't. My carpet was definately factory, and took some effort to pull it up off of the well, and there is no signs of ever having a pump in there. It would be nice to put one in though. could yours have been put in by the previos owner? Looks like i have some windshield work to put on the list
My boat has the red #1 imron color package, and has the silent thunder exhaust with a 365 mag in it. Engine being updated as we speak.

Quick Reply: water in v-berth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.