Fresh water flush for 292 Fastech

Notices
Formula

Fresh water flush for 292 Fastech

Old 12-20-2005, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fresh water flush for 292 Fastech

I have bought a Formula 292 Fastech 2002 model. Currently there are no engines in the boat, but 2 new (leftover engines from 2004) Mercury Racing 377 Scorpion engines are included as part of the deal. I am going to do the installation of the Scorpion engines myself with a little help from my local authorised Mercruiser dealer. The original engines were 350 MAG MPI Horizon models (closed cooling), so there is no engine fresh water flush system installed currently. Unfortunately I am going to keep the Formula in the water (it is already bottom painted) so I would really like a fresh water flush system so I can flush the engines when I get back to the dock. I can see on the Formula web site that they list a "Freshwater Engine Flush" option, anybody that knows what this option consists of in terms of hardware ? Anybody that has any pictures of this "Formula factory option" setup ? I would like to install something so I can just connect a hose at the dock and flush the engines after use.
Thanks.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fresh water flush for 292 Fastech

I don't know about the Formula system, but Perko (I think) makes a valve system that you put in the water line. When you put the hose on at the dock, the pressure closes the raw water intake side of the valve thus only letting in fresh water. I think they cost around $80 or so. I bought them, but returned it to go a different route on my boat. I wasn't thrilled they were made of plastic, but they looked ok.

There are several other systems on the market too.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen the Perko and other flushing kits on the internet, but I was just wondering what the Formula factory option "Freshwater Engine Flush" setup is like. Anybody out there that has the "Freshwater Engine Flush" factory option installed ? And what do you think of it ?
Any input on this is much appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Formula system uses all Mercruiser parts. It tees into the intake line and has a quick connect hose coupler mounted on top of the engine. If you have a friendly Merc dealer he could find the part #'s. I think they are listed with the Horizon engines under cooling systems. If you can't find the #'s i have a list somewhere if you need it. Robert