Notices
Formula

fuel sender is leaking....

Old 06-16-2006, 03:34 PM
NO WAKE ENFORCER
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel sender is leaking....

I topped off the tank Tuesday and when I got home and took the cover off the smell was terrible it was easy to spot because my sundeck is off getting redone. There was a screw that didn't match the other 4 so that's where I started I tried to tighten it and it was obvious it wasn't going to so I took it out, as soon as I did it look like a water fountain of $3.15 a gallon gas going into the bilge (which by sweet design ended up under my step 2 days later). The tank was so full that I just had to let it get down to a level that it would stop. Once it stopped I tried to use some gasket maker to seal it and some neoprene pressure washers on the top side and a new bolt for the odd one and it got tight and seemed to be holding until two days latter the gasket maker just isn't holding up so long story short is this the correct gasket?

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_send.asp?Sender=10_180ohms

sorry for the long story but I know you guys understand what a pain some of this stuff is, cause my wife sure doesn't

thanks PJ
Old 06-16-2006, 05:33 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: fuel sender is leaking....

Did you try lowering the bow to allow any air pocket to migrate to the rear. Coulda saved a lot of gas in the bilge
I know because I had a similar problem.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Registered

The fuel expanded in the tank from air temp after being in underground storage tank. Siphon some out and at elast save it and avoid getting more in bilge. The sender gasket is available at Worst Marine. I'd get new gasket and then try and put a larger self taping screw in the one hole that's striped--use the new ones that come with the gasket for all others.

Good luck--been there/done that. The smell is as bad as the fire/explosion danger.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:00 PM
NO WAKE ENFORCER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mopower
Did you try lowering the bow to allow any air pocket to migrate to the rear. Coulda saved a lot of gas in the bilge
I know because I had a similar problem.

I did unhook it from the truck and turn it around so the bow was on a small incline the right direction it did help some but dam that thing was full, I will do what you said poorsche and and get the gasket from them and follow your route hope this fixes my gas problem, I had the tank pressure tested at the end of last year so that might of made the problem worse with the gasket and of course I just re silicon-ed the floor ($#@##)

thanks guys for the tips I appreciate it

PJ
Old 06-17-2006, 05:49 AM
Registered

I ordered a replacement fuel sender from these folks (only took 5 weeks special order from Germany):

http://www.gilmoredist.com/vdo-marin...ccessories.htm

Scroll down and you'll see part numbers for the gaskets.

Here's another thread about fuel senders:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...el+tank+sender
Old 06-19-2006, 03:47 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The cork gaskets suck! They go hard with the fuel - I seem to have to replace mine every 2 seasons.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:46 AM
NO WAKE ENFORCER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MadMat
The cork gaskets suck! They go hard with the fuel - I seem to have to replace mine every 2 seasons.

I just ordered the neoprene one.... $22 for 2 of them and shipping should get them in 3 days or so
Old 06-20-2006, 06:49 PM
NO WAKE ENFORCER
Platinum Member

already got the gaskets and installed one, I put it on and re-bolted everything. Problem solved.... not yet I towed the boat about 20 miles then got in it to close the hatch door and noticed a tiny bit of gas around the bolt closest to the motor....mother of GOD @#$@#@

The screw is as tight as I can get it without stripping the head, it seems to be barley seeping just under the sender not the bolt it is a small amount put obviously could add up.... what should I do. I was thinking about replacing the screw with the same bolt I replaced one of the others with so I can get it tighter???? do I need to loosen the opposite side and try to tighten that one??? man this whole GAS thing is starting to piss me off

thanks guys PJ

Last edited by 88formula223; 06-20-2006 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Registered

Must be getting annoying for you.

When I replaced my sender I tightened the bolts like I would when changing a tire...in a "star" pattern. Not sure if that will help in your situation...but mine didn't leak after I changed it...so might be worth a shot. Also, is the surface under the gasket and on the sender itself clean? Any bumpy corrosion could prevent a good seal.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:32 PM
NO WAKE ENFORCER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by chuck21401
Must be getting annoying for you.

When I replaced my sender I tightened the bolts like I would when changing a tire...in a "star" pattern. Not sure if that will help in your situation...but mine didn't leak after I changed it...so might be worth a shot. Also, is the surface under the gasket and on the sender itself clean? Any bumpy corrosion could prevent a good seal.

chuck it is starting to P me off, I tightend them that way also. I cleaned it well but Im going to take it back out and look to see if i missed anything

thanks PJ

Quick Reply: fuel sender is leaking....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.