Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
First test ride tomorrow (272 SR1); final tips? >

First test ride tomorrow (272 SR1); final tips?

Notices
Formula

First test ride tomorrow (272 SR1); final tips?

Old 09-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: First test ride tomorrow (272 SR1); final tips?

this is Rambunctious here

you asked for tips ...so:
check for stress cracks on the hull ( offshores....run offshore) although rarely do you see any problem with a formula.
check for clean, full oil ( sign of proper maintenance)
check for excessive play in steering.
check for prop or skeg damage.
watch rpm vs. throttles to confirm both engines have similar performance.
verify 4600-4800 at wide open and trimmed to verify engine power and proper pitch of props.
verify gages/electronic/etc all in working order
verify trim tabs and drive pumps work, trim gages work, sunpad lift works. batteries secured, bolster seats function ( unless pedestal seats)

good luck, have fun, spend money

Ramb
Old 09-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an '89 311 on Lake St Clair that has the Silent Thunder removed and a tubular platform installed. Buy Outlaw and paint a tubular platform to match one of the colors - it would look SWEET.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think Outlaw is Sold ....thats the rumor anyway ...

on the 272 ....check the center stringer in the engine room for rot ...at the front were it's notched out for the Bilge pump ...and also the bulkhead that the stringer butts into ... between the engine room and the fuel tank ...also the outside stringers where they butt into the same bulkhead ... tap with a screwdriver head ..... you can tell where it's not solid ...m
Old 09-16-2006, 04:31 AM
Banned

Outlaw is sold, but not quite gone. Here's a post from Russ yesterday. He was suposed to deliver the boat to Ft Lauderdale.

The Saga Continues:

Brother and I take off around 9:30 this morning heading for Miami. 40 miles down I-75 I realize I forgot to bring the phucking title to the boat. We turn around and go back to get it. 2 miles from my house the right rear tire on the boat trailer disintegrates, taking out the tailight and bending the hell out of the bumper. We limp it home and find three other tires with bad cracks in the sidewalls that were not there when we left.

Jack up the phucking boat trailer (of course with boat on said trailer). Remove all six phucking wheels/tires, run to Englewood, buy six new tires and bring home and reinstall. Oh, I forgot to mention it took almost 3 hours in the boiling sun to break loose the rusted lug nuts with a three ft. breaker-bar. Thought I was going to die. Drank almost two gallons of water....

So, we're going to give it another try tomorrow.....

I think this boat has become cursed......
Old 09-16-2006, 04:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by handfulz28
I've seen a few in person so far but I'm finally taking a ride on one tomorrow (gotta fly all day today to get there). After all this looking, this will be my first ride/drive in an offshore.
Thanks for the help so far,
Michael

PS: Just when I thought I was done looking I came across a 311 for $24k. I need to stick to my "small block" guns though...
You WILL regret the smallblock choice.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wantsa311
There is an '89 311 on Lake St Clair that has the Silent Thunder removed and a tubular platform installed. Buy Outlaw and paint a tubular platform to match one of the colors - it would look SWEET.
You can buy an aftermarket swim platfrom like what's on my boat. It was on there when I bought it, but I don't think they are that expensive.
Attached Thumbnails First test ride tomorrow (272 SR1); final tips?-jgriffy2.jpg   First test ride tomorrow (272 SR1); final tips?-fpc-pic.jpg   First test ride tomorrow (272 SR1); final tips?-paint-078.jpg  

Old 09-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Registered

First off, Ramb and offthefront thank you for the tips. I didn't get a chance to read them before my ride, but if other people are looking then this should help.
Bummer to hear about Russ' Outlaw delivery, I hope everything is going better today. Will have to try and hook up with the new owner.
My quick thoughts on the swim platform issue: it's not about cost. I like the looks and function (platform at least) of the Silent Thunder. From what I've read here, it has it's issues, that's why some are taking them off. I plan on getting out of the boat and getting in the water...gotta have a way back in. Whenever possible and practical, I prefer orignal designs unless there's something really really wrong with it.
Anyone want to hear about the boat ride?
Unfortunately, I'm no closer to bringing a Formula home. Biggest issue right now is starboard motor not wanting to run more than 4k RPM at WOT, and only showing 25-30psi oil at those RPMs. It's the original with over 700hrs so not surprising, just disappointing. The port motor with less than 10hrs had more in it over 4k RPM but I didn't want to get too far out of sync; and that motor was reading more than 80psi oil! Sheesh... The props are Stilleto M1421 which I assume are 14" 21P? Are these right for the boat? GPS indicated 45+mph at 3900RPM; how's that sound?
The other thing I need to learn about is the intake manifold/carb setup. They're Edlebrock/Holley (750 supposedly?) and they've been on for 10yrs, but I have no idea what they're doing for power or if they'll survive salt water use. The port carb (new motor) is so rich on startup that I thought it was on fire there was so much smoke; DEFINITELY needs an adjustment, but I wouldn't know where to start.
Thanks for reading all this and thanks for your input.
Michael
Attached Thumbnails First test ride tomorrow (272 SR1); final tips?-starboard-motor.jpg  
Old 09-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Banned

It looks like a dual feed Holley under there. I'm pretty sure that engine came with a Q jet carb originally.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Registered

I keep coming back to this one. I don't know what the differences are internally between a 260hp and a 300+hp Mercruiser, but this 272 has two pretty 300hp SBCs:
Attached Thumbnails First test ride tomorrow (272 SR1); final tips?-clean-starboard-blue-272.jpg  
Old 09-16-2006, 09:56 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My God , look at all that room with small blocks

I guess the do have some advantage . My hatch lift motor won't even fit between my manifolds...nor will my arm to change plugs

Quick Reply: First test ride tomorrow (272 SR1); final tips?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.