Notices
Formula

Vacu-Flush head not working

Old 11-13-2006, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Re: Vacu-Flush head not working

Originally Posted by Sea-Dated
The duck bill valves are inside the discharge hose with 2 on each side of the pump. Not that hard to change but you have to make sure they seal back up or they will form air leaks. We ordered ours online but I can not remember where from. The vacuum pump should pump between 40-60 times to build up pressure and shut off after that.
What do you mean inside the discharge hose? Are they back by the vacuum pump of inside by the head?

Sorry for all of the questions but I am new to this system...

Thanks for all of your help!
Old 11-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every once in a while mine will develop a small leak at the top of the pump. There's a couple of white fittings on the top that make a seal to the top of the tank. See if one of those are leaking. I'm not sure but you may also have a spring loaded screw/cap type device on the top. Push down on that and release it to see if it seals off as well.
Originally Posted by dgduck13
What do you mean inside the discharge hose? Are they back by the vacuum pump of inside by the head?

Sorry for all of the questions but I am new to this system...

Thanks for all of your help!
Old 11-13-2006, 10:13 PM
Registered

Mine was leaking on the top of the tank past the spring loaded vacuum relief valve. Dirt falls into these valves, and then gets in between the valve and the seal, and then they leak. A new one cost $100. You can spray water around it to see if it is sucking the water around the valve.

Check this out http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ight=vacuflush

Also, the vacuflush in the Fastech boats is not the same as some of the bigger boats, so not all the parts are the same.
Garrett
Old 11-14-2006, 06:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by FormulaM2Formula
Also, the vacuflush in the Fastech boats is not the same as some of the bigger boats, so not all the parts are the same.
Garrett
I agree, my next suggestion was going to be to call Vacu-Flush and talk to them. We found a dealer in Texas that was very helpful. I can not remember the dealers name but the guy we spoke to was Ron. He was like the head of the chitters or something like that. Very knowledgeable and helpful guy.

Originally Posted by dgduck13
That is exactly where they are. On ours, there were two on each side of the vacuum pump. On the smaller systems they have only one valve on each side. Ours went south after about 6 years and we have replaced them again since. I want to say it was like $60 for a set of Duck Bills. Pretty easy fix and the heads have been working great since then.

I will try to find the name of the dealer that we talked to. I know I have it down at the boat but will not be going there until this weekend.

Last edited by Sea-Dated; 11-14-2006 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:21 PM
BL6
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

"Should be in the engine compartment in front of the engines up against the "back seat". Black tank, white hoses. It does make an obvious thumping sound when priming the pump"

Question: why is holding tank mounted right in front of engines? You can never have enough room around engines to work on, impellors, etc. Can tank be moved elsewhere?
Old 01-27-2007, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BL6
Can tank be moved elsewhere?

short answer...No

not in a FasTech. No single other spot in the bilge big enough, and you do occasionally need to get at it.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:43 PM
BL6
Registered

So the "porta potti" w/ pumpout style has a small tank right at the stool & eliminates the bulky tank in engine compartment?
Old 01-28-2007, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

yes, and I would choose that myself if I had a choice for simplicity and to keep the space open in front of the engines. My boat had the VF, and that's OK. It's not like it's been a detriment.

the women dig the classy effect of the vaccuuflush "real bowl" and push-button (or lever) convenience.

I have also found they feel a little more involved with the boat in knowing the sequence of turning on the pump and FW breakers ect. ie: operating a boat system on their own.

but that doesn't mean "squat" (pun intended) when you want to get in front of those engines though.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:40 AM
BL6
Registered

Rippum - thks for comments. I'm looking for boat #6 for our family. Have been eyeing 353's.
I made a list of "must have's" for my next boat. And one of them was adequate work room in front of engine.
I'll just have to take into consideration. Dave