27 fast tec

Notices
Formula

27 fast tec

Old 11-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 27 fast tec

my brother just bought a 2001 271 fast tec 496ho br1. I figured I'd ask you guys what prop he should have for all round playing. It now has 24p bravo1 4 blade. He says that it reach's for the sky way to long and won't plane off very well. Has to use full tabs and drive tucked all the way in even with only himself and 1/4 tank of fuel. topping out at 61 mph 5k rpms. remmber its a water speedo. this what he has told me I have not drive'n it yet. any Ideas???? what's everbody else running?
Old 11-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Registered

Default Re: 27 fast tec

I have two 26 bravo1's for my 271 fastec. one will get up on plane a little better than the other. The better planning prop hits 5100 rpm @ 66 gps while the other one hits 4900 @ almost the same speed.
From what I have heard the 271 is not the greatest planning boat. But I hardly ever have to use my tabs to get onto plane. With just myself & a light load of fuel it will actually pop right up without alot of bowrise.
My 271 ,as alot of others, run left hand rotation props on right hand drives. The left handed prop handles better than the right handed one I tested.
If your brothers prop is blowing out (as my spare does) while planning , Throttle up can work it over to reduce the blow out.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Registered

Cosmic - after rereading your post I'm wondering if your brothers prop isn't slipping too much. My speedo reads 68-69 mph while my gps reads 66. Most non gps speedos read a few mph optomistic. So if his boat is actualling running 58-59 mph @ 5000rpm then his slip factor is a little on the high side.
Hope this helps chris
Old 11-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Registered

thanks Chris. I haven't been in the boat yet. It's a little cold up here now and he put it away for the winter. We will have to wait till next season to really test it. He only had it out one time. could be that he just needs to get used to it. First boat and all.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmic12
He says that it reach's for the sky way to long and won't plane off very well. Has to use full tabs and drive tucked all the way in even with only himself and 1/4 tank of fuel.
A friend of mine bought a nice 271 (used) last summer. Comes on plane in like 20 minutes! Something about the 271 hull, none of them plane off well. Prop blows out bad. Too bad you buy a stock boat with stock (Formula) propping and it works far less than adequate.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
A friend of mine bought a nice 271 (used) last summer. Comes on plane in like 20 minutes! Something about the 271 hull, none of them plane off well. Prop blows out bad. Too bad you buy a stock boat with stock (Formula) propping and it works far less than adequate.
are you saying that this is to be expected???? That would really suck! There has got to be a way to prop it better.( I Hope)
Old 11-14-2006, 05:56 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmic12
are you saying that this is to be expected???? That would really suck!
That's exactly what I'm saying,,,,,,,,, and it does suck!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:13 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a spacer in front or behind the pin on the end of the trim rams. Make sure it's in front. This allows for more negitive trim and quicker planing.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mopower
There is a spacer in front or behind the pin on the end of the trim rams. Make sure it's in front. This allows for more negitive trim and quicker planing.
Ya I thought of that and told him to ck it but its to late now will have to wait till next season. Thanks guys and if anyone has any other suggestions its going to be a long witer so lets hear'em
Old 12-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Registered

Thanks Mopower for the suggestion, I made the change before putting it away for the winter. Hopefully i can find a good medium concerning plane vs top speed in spring, I've also been reading up on tabs. Although it seems that having to use them to plane isn't right.

Quick Reply: 27 fast tec

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.