Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
How do you remove platform exhaust tips? >

How do you remove platform exhaust tips?

Notices
Formula

How do you remove platform exhaust tips?

Old 12-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you remove platform exhaust tips?

Silent Thunder platform of course...the stainless tips. 3 of 4 gaskets are sagging, the tips need some polishing, and I've got a guy compounding the whole boat, so I figured I'd just remove the tips so it's easier to work on. And it may give me a little room to "service" the baffles in there.
I started unscrewing the phillips heads, but it feels like there's a little nut inside. How the heck am I supposed to get to that?
Thanks,
Michael
Old 12-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How do you remove platform exhaust tips?

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Silent Thunder platform of course...the stainless tips. 3 of 4 gaskets are sagging, the tips need some polishing, and I've got a guy compounding the whole boat, so I figured I'd just remove the tips so it's easier to work on. And it may give me a little room to "service" the baffles in there.
I started unscrewing the phillips heads, but it feels like there's a little nut inside. How the heck am I supposed to get to that?
Thanks,
Michael
There are nuts on the inside, can't remember what size. Easiest way I found was to sacrafice an old wrench of the correct size. Heat it up and bend it to a little over 45 degrees or so (box end, of course). That will enable you to get on those nuts.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Registered

Thanks Third. they felt pretty small...looks like a fine excuse to get some flex head ratcheting wrenches
Thanks,
Michael
Old 12-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Thanks Third. they felt pretty small...looks like a fine excuse to get some flex head ratcheting wrenches
Thanks,
Michael
That's a good thought Michael, but I think there are clearances issues inside that will not allow for the ratchet mechanism. I think those wrenches are just too big on the end to get on the nuts.

Might work though, been a while and I can't remember exactly how much room is in there. But, like you said, at least you'll have a new set of nice wrenches.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Registered

Well instead of breaking out the oxy/acetylene, or spending money on wrenches, it was easy enough with a flex-head socket wrench and deep 3/8".
Now my detail guy can clean up the transom and I can put some needed elbow grease on the exhaust tips.
3 of 4 of the gaskets are no good; I'm debating whether I can just seal the gap with some clear silicone RTV?
I also need to break out the sawzall and hole saw while I'm at it; need to re-read some old threads...
Thanks,
Michael
Old 12-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Registered

If you plan on removing the internal baffles in the platform, you might consider 4" round tips. The factory flappers, really flap(annoyingly) on a open platform, they eventually rip(mine did). I bought short 4" tips, cut the inside pipe to around 1", opened up the holes in the platform and bolted them down. The new tips/flanges will cover all but one of the original holes from the rectangular tips. You cant see them from the picture, but I also drilled 1-1/4" holes in the bottom of the platform. The boat sounds good at idle(platform in water),and even better on plane..
Attached Thumbnails How do you remove platform exhaust tips?-silent-thunder.jpg  
Old 12-24-2006, 07:16 AM
Registered

That looks pretty cool with the round tips, might have to consider that for mine.