Repower My Formula

Notices
Formula

Repower My Formula

Old 12-14-2006, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repower My Formula

I have asked many questions on repowering but have one more ..? Could any one tell me if I can do a simple swap from my 91 7.4volvo penta Litre to an newer 8.1 litre volvo penta without having to change alot of stuff. The outdrive is a 91 duo prop and my boat is a 91 formula 223.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 422 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Re: Repower My Formula

You need a pro opinion... I don't know much about Volvos... same for most of the other average boater like me on the board I would guess...

But I'm still curious to know the answer!
Old 12-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Registered

I'd post this question in the General Tech forum. There's probably a bunch of people that would have more direct experience, even though most talk about Mercruiser.
The hardware would probably bolt up, but I have no clue if any electronics would've changed.
Thanks,
Michael
Old 12-14-2006, 07:45 PM
Registered

thanks guys i have had very little on this subject and as i have seen so have others. i really do love this motor and outdrive. i would love to see a bigger motor push it along
Old 12-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Or ... I have 2 fresh 502 Mags .... I bet you can install the Bell housing off your motors ....but as said post in General Tech section .... Let me know if your interested in the motors ....m
Old 12-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 7.4 and the 8.1 engines are different generations so the accessories will not bolt up. You basically need a dressed 8.1 to do it. The good news is that the mounts and bellhousing match up so you are o.k. there. Dave M. here on the board did this swap with his 24 Superboat and it came out nice-he can probably give you some pointers and needs to get it done right. If you can get a take out engine complete the job should be fairly straightforward.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by insptech
The 7.4 and the 8.1 engines are different generations so the accessories will not bolt up. You basically need a dressed 8.1 to do it. The good news is that the mounts and bellhousing match up so you are o.k. there. Dave M. here on the board did this swap with his 24 Superboat and it came out nice-he can probably give you some pointers and needs to get it done right. If you can get a take out engine complete the job should be fairly straightforward.
So the 502's ( they are complete) would work ?

There was someone on OSO that was selling low (10-30hr) 496's .... Some of them....if not all were Volvo's and seemed it was a good swap for the mercs
Old 12-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Registered

I am really leaning towards the 496 . I did find a couple of them in the classified section . they are complete as far as I can tell. Thanks alot for the info offthefront . I just need one and I am not sure if I will do it real soon . This is great input and I really do appreciate all you guys giving me the chance to ask for info.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes 502's and 7.4 (454's) are the same engine in each generation. Virtually all the bolt ons are the same. If you can get a good take out with all the accessories on it it is the easiest swap since everything will match up and all the wiring is loomed properly.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sneekinfreek
I am really leaning towards the 496 . I did find a couple of them in the classified section . they are complete as far as I can tell. Thanks alot for the info offthefront . I just need one and I am not sure if I will do it real soon . This is great input and I really do appreciate all you guys giving me the chance to ask for info.
you cant go wrong with the 496 ...turn key ...

Quick Reply: Repower My Formula

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.