Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
GPS install (in-dash) for FasTech  - Who has one? >

GPS install (in-dash) for FasTech - Who has one?

Notices
Formula

GPS install (in-dash) for FasTech - Who has one?

Old 12-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS install (in-dash) for FasTech - Who has one?

I've got the Gaffrig speedo on the standard late-model (2003) FastTech dash. Since it is not working and I also would like GPS or SPG\chartplotter, I'd like to hear from those who have installed an in-dash GPS. I really don't want to use a bracket mount GPS which stands near vetrical on my dash.

Questions: What brand\size did you install, besides removing the speedo did you have to move any other gauges to fit, did you use an external antenna and where did you place it?

Pics would be great, too. Thanks.

-Rob
Old 12-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: GPS install (in-dash) for FasTech - Who has one?

>>>>>
Attached Thumbnails GPS install (in-dash) for FasTech  - Who has one?-dash-3.jpg   GPS install (in-dash) for FasTech  - Who has one?-dash-1.jpg   GPS install (in-dash) for FasTech  - Who has one?-dash-2.jpg  

Old 12-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Registered

antenna attached w/two sided tape to flat of deck above cabin door next to the rise of "dash" There are spaces you can get the wire through to the unit. You can just see it upper left of this pic
Attached Thumbnails GPS install (in-dash) for FasTech  - Who has one?-gpsant.jpg  
Old 12-18-2006, 02:31 PM
Registered

I relocated fuel and volts and got the biggest plotter I could in. You can see it was tight in a number of ways. Using a holesaw for the guage relocate was easy next to cutting out that aluminum panel the shape for that plotter, in the boat!

You can one of the mounting studs fell right over the dash hinge arm mount. That's what that drilled hole is

I took a razor blade and had to cut out a few mm of the "H" crossbar to keep the FASTECH dash logo intact.

Last edited by Rippem; 12-18-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what I did last winter with my 382:
Attached Thumbnails GPS install (in-dash) for FasTech  - Who has one?-videostill-010.jpg   GPS install (in-dash) for FasTech  - Who has one?-382-dash-025.jpg   GPS install (in-dash) for FasTech  - Who has one?-382-dash-023.jpg  

Old 12-18-2006, 04:00 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

On your 292 it's going to be tough. Only spot is between the tachs where the speedo is now.You will need to measure the space there and search for a unit that is small enough,but that may be tough. Formula doesn't offer GPS on the 292 because of space limitations. They do offer Smartcraft System view 5000( about the size of a small GPS) but they use a different panel that eliminates some of the gauges incorporated into Smartcraft. You would need to buy or make a new panel and lose(or relocate) a gauge or 2 or 3. It may be doable,just won't be easy,353 and 382 have more room.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I mounted my plotter between the tachs as Robert said. It does not interfere with the visibility of anything.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails GPS install (in-dash) for FasTech  - Who has one?-353-fastech-helm2.jpg  
Old 12-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by axapowell
I mounted my plotter between the tachs as Robert said. It does not interfere with the visibility of anything.

Dave
And that plotter is oh so important when traversing the wilderness waters between the Boathouse and Potter's Beach!! Wild waters out there with nary a landmark in sight.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:45 PM
Registered

the sunset from Sixtown Point anchored for the night.

uhhh...that's in Lake Ontario for those of you tethered to the river.

at least that's what my plotter told me.
Attached Thumbnails GPS install (in-dash) for FasTech  - Who has one?-me5.jpg   GPS install (in-dash) for FasTech  - Who has one?-sixtown.jpg  
Old 12-20-2006, 01:06 AM
Registered

Thanks, guys. Since I will spend alot of time in the Sacramento Delta, it would be nice to have the chartplotter - Hundreds of miles of waterways, easy to get lost or (even worse) run out of gas trying to find some backwater fuel dock with nothing but charts and the yellow pages.

If I can't find an in-dash unit that will mount flush I may go with a handheld. Thanks again to all for posting the pics and advice.

Quick Reply: GPS install (in-dash) for FasTech - Who has one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.