Notices
Formula

Question about 353

Old 12-19-2006, 07:53 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question about 353

There are so many variables out there a good prop person can make a world of difference. Props are not as much a science as they are an art. Fortunately,there are some artists out there.

Last edited by Magicfloat; 12-19-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:51 PM
EWB
Registered
Platinum Member

Checked the bottom this afternoon. The only straight edge I had at the shop was 4' long so from the back of the boat four foot forward there is 3/8 hook in the bottom from each out side strake all the way across. I then took a string from the front step and ran it to the back of the boat. it touched the edge of each step at the same time with the string pulled tight so I think the rest of the boat is ok but the boat definitely needs blue printed from the back step to the back of the boat. Ill try to take some pics this weekend.
Thanks for everyones help.
EB
Old 12-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EWB
from the back of the boat four foot forward there is 3/8 hook in the bottom from each out side strake all the way across. EB
bingo.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EWB
The only straight edge I had at the shop was 4' long so from the back of the boat four foot forward there is 3/8 hook in the bottom from each out side strake all the way across. EB
I would check with Formula Tech. That could be a designed hull configuration.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:47 PM
EWB
Registered
Platinum Member

Here are some pic's there hard to see but I still think it needs to be fixed.
EB
Attached Thumbnails Question about 353-picture-437-small-.jpg   Question about 353-picture-438-small-.jpg   Question about 353-picture-440-small-.jpg  

Old 12-23-2006, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by EWB
Previous boat was a fountain
but it still feels like it hunts at speed.
EB

Which Fountain did you have?

I have run a couple of the 353's and my impression, and comment, has been that the hull feels like hunts for a line at speed as compared to my 35 Lightning. My feeling has been that they do not like a lot of trim, and might track better with a little more hull contact and a more neutral angle on the hull. Many of the newer designs, Fountain included, almost have a predetermined running angle built in to the hull/step configuration. What I have noticed is that mixed up slop makes this "hunting" much more noticeable. They are definetily a different feeling hull than a Fountain. You might try a little less trim, ignore that the bow appears/feels low, and see if that changes anything.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

maybe it's just something that becomes more apparent with speeds above 75. Mine does not "dart" or hunt AT ALL. I have found this hull does not need or like any tab, except for maintaining minimum planing speed, or big water. It runs on it's own bottom just fine without them.
Being multi-step is indeed a different feel I'm sure from a single step or straight bottom in terms of running angle. I said before that the boat's very flat running angle, not unlike other multi-step designs, takes some getting used to. Not being used to it (or the way this bottom feels) you may be putting "too much into it" in terms of steering input and magnifying a feel that in itself is not that pronounced.
I still say the hook is a bad thing. Be sure to tell us when you find out what Formula says. I'm going to check mine today.
Prop selection. It may be as simple as moving to a prop, or reworking for more inherent bow lifting/bow carrying.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

That hook looks like the hook put in by Formula on all the 353's.

Sounds like he is just missing the ride of his Fountain!

Seriously though, I wish you the best of luck with your boat. I'd suggest to blue print the bottom and sharpen the strakes, chine and transom. You've probablyy notice that Formula makes these very rounded and dull. Play with drive height and props.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:22 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 122 Likes on 63 Posts

I would look into the props. My 312 would "hunt" as you described and having the props worked for a little more bow lift seemed to help (but I sold the boat soon after!)
Old 12-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

if you find out that the hook is designed in by formula please post this and let the rest of us know. a pm would be appreciated. mine has some of the same hook but suprisingly not where the bunks are but one strake in.

Quick Reply: Question about 353

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.