Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Water in the bilge, where do I look for leaks? >

Water in the bilge, where do I look for leaks?

Notices
Formula

Water in the bilge, where do I look for leaks?

Old 01-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Water in the bilge, where do I look for leaks?

Hey Jeff, that 357 has 4.5ft more for goodies like that! Only one for me, which I keep forgetting to see if it works automatically. It works on the switch, and the high-water float thing screamed when I lifted it by hand.
Where do you get water from up there?
Old 01-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by handfulz28
My detail guy did a real good job on the hull/running surface/outside. But if he left my interior like this I'm gonna kick his @ss.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your driveshaft and shift cable bellows. Raise the drives and look under and inside the gimbal ring/bell housing. If they haven't been changed in a while, I bet that's where you are leaking.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Registered

Thanks RedDog. I'd bet they're original. Can't wait to pop open the manual and see what kind of chore it is to get in there. It might just be time for a major overhaul
Old 01-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Registered

Actually, poking around on ebay I wonder if all I need is this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercr...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Registered

Michael,

Have you found the problem yet?
Old 01-22-2007, 12:49 PM
alj
Registered

Handful
Did you find those leaks? Sounds like the cable or exhaust bellows. As far as hardware leaks, they happen more than you might think. I've had bolts leak for swim platform brackets. Trim and steering cylinders. Even had the screws for a speedo pitot leak into the wood in a transom. Common mistake is to use silicone. You really should not! Not all silicone is the same. Most of it won't last underwater even though that doesn't make sense. Best product is 3M 5200 marine sealant @$17.00 a cartridge and comes in four colors. It should be used on all bolts, screws, through-hulls, drive transom assemblies, K plane mounts, trim or steering ram brackets, swim platform bolts or brackets, exhaust through-hulls or rings, and cable grommets. This stuff is tenacious and permanent. Guys with integrated platforms should look at the bolts that attach the platform. After a while the sealants and gaskets used can dry out. Also check the packings on cable grommets like the ones for the K-plane indicator cables or drive indicator cables. They can dry out or be missing altogether if a lazy mechanic put new cables in. Water coming through an opening like a bolt hole can destroy the wood in a transom. Also be sure to seal both sides of those bolts and fittings! Water can get in there from outside and thats obvious, but think about water up against those bolts inside the bilge as well. Water laying in the engine bilge can roll forward under the fuel tanks and into the cabin. Very few of our boats have the cabin sealed from the cockpit and engine areas down in the keel. Some actually have tubes running from the cabin to the engine bilge that are glassed in the hull. I think bilge pumps under the cabin step is a great idea.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Registered

I had the same problem, turned uot to be the upper swivel shaft or tiller shaft seal. Had to remove and dissamble the whole transum assembly which I was able to do without removing the engine on a 303. But it was a job!
Old 02-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Registered

Hey guys, thanks for remembering me. I've been dealing with some major crap recently so the boat hasn't been at the top of my list.
I finally got a chance this past weekend to try and run a bead of 5200 on the water-side of the block-off plate but I haven't had a chance to put it in the water. I didn't do a great job so I'm not expecting a miracle. But I did the best I could to inspect the driveshaft and shift bellows and there weren't any obvious signs of cracks. I'd guess the previous owner was good about servicing that stuff.
The next time I put it in the water I'll bring my camera(s) and do a better job of seeing exactly where the leak is coming from. I'm still pretty sure that it seemed the water was coming through the inner transom assembly where the exhaust would attach.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:26 PM
alj
Registered

Hey Micheal,
Another one of my unorthodox ideas. When searching for a leak like that you can do it on the trailer. Raise the bow up as high as possible, Disconnect the batteries. Fill the engine compartment with water and inspect outside for a leak. Just take care not to flood a critical component in the engine compartment like a starter, trim pump, blower, or alternator. You should be able to get the water level high enough to cause a bellows or cable to leak for you. You might also try to spray water from a hose at the suspected leak area inside the transom to see if any water leaks to the outside. Even a drop outside would indicate a bigger problem when the leak area is submerged while the boat is actually in the water. If the boat is completely dry it is easier to see a leak on the outside than trying to crawl around inside the engine compartment searching for leaks.

Quick Reply: Water in the bilge, where do I look for leaks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.