Formula

The new Bird Hauler

Old 01-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,260 Likes on 550 Posts
Default Re: The new Bird Hauler

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Alright Rip, between you and Brian (Sydwayz), I'm seriously looking at a new hitch. Got any pics installed, and how is the installation?
I have to go through all the crap I'm getting from SEMA, but I remember talking with one outfit that had aluminum, adjustable, double locking ball mounts, plus stainless balls, rated at 14k lbs. I just need to get off my arse and make the call.
The Putnam sticks out maybe 1 extra inch past the factory hitch. Its not overly noticeable. The Reese Titan-V is a 2.5 box hitch, and is definitely ominous looking.

I am on my 2nd Putnam, and I have many friend that are running them.

The factory hitch is affectionately referred to as the "flexi-flyer" on some of the Sub and Avalanche forums. It bolts to the bumper, and you can watch the bumper flex down with weight on the hitch. Its not pretty.

See my post I just put up on the thread in Truck and Trailers.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put on the Reese Titan Class V hitch (2.5") and it fits just fine. If you want to doll it up a bit, you can add a nice spinning prop to the receiver when not towing

Really, the factory tube hitch is not very stout and could be a problem for you. I have my old hitch sitting in the garage and everytime I look at it, I think how frail it looks.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
plenty of walker stowage though!

Thats important when attempting to suck up their life savings and part of the deal includes transport to and from bingo nite.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 5PMSMWHR
3rd, your new ride would be prone to getting jacked in Axa's neighborhood. Sure it'd show up a month later with 24s and spinners, but..............

No way, he's buying up the neighborhood and cleaning out the less than desireable folks.
It's that Boss Hogg approach.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 01-11-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

3rd, ya really need to aim higher on the hero worship thing. It appears between you and Axa, you have one good looking rig. His '84 Sanford and Son Dually is a better fit for your '69 311. His '99 behind your new ride would be respectable. Seems an even trade both ways to me.... can someone photoshop this up.being yur in 'swego county 3rd you get the '84, although your new ride would be prone to getting jacked in Axa's neighborhood. Sure it'd show up a month later with 24s and spinners.
that's why the Suburban love...

a place to keep the banjos dry!
Old 01-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Registered

Bird,

Check the "Cocktail" thread. Let us know what you think about a Saturday deal instead of Friday. Saturday works way better for us.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
(Although I think a 3.73 rear end only means you are rated to tow 10,800 lbs. The 4.10 takes it to 12,000 lbs.)
Sydwayz, you're right about that published capacity. The 373 set up is only rated 10800 or so. However, the differing capacities based on azle ratios is really an efficiency rating. The truck is identical in all other regards to the 4.10, 12000 lb rated rig. It's not a safety concern.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3rd, ya really need to aim higher on the hero worship thing. It appears between you and Axa, you have one good looking rig. His '84 Sanford and Son Dually is a better fit for your '69 311. His '99 behind your new ride would be respectable. Seems an even trade both ways to me.... can someone photoshop this up. Being yur in 'swego county 3rd you get the '84, although your new ride would be prone to getting jacked in Axa's neighborhood. Sure it'd show up a month later with 24s and spinners, but..............
You best go get a boat before you go on spewing like that. Boatless heckler.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
Sydwayz, you're right about that published capacity. The 373 set up is only rated 10800 or so. However, the differing capacities based on azle ratios is really an efficiency rating. The truck is identical in all other regards to the 4.10, 12000 lb rated rig. It's not a safety concern.

Right you are! There are no changes in terms of springs, shocks, etc. Even the hitch stays the same as far as I know. The change in rating is based on the vehicles ability to perform in a normal manner, accelerate and merge in trafic and so on with the rated weight in tow. Driving in a prudent manner has as much, and maybe more, to do with safe towing than the tow vehicle. In reality the trailer is more important. If boat fits well and is well balanced on the trailer it will tow like a dream. Your new Eagle should make a big difference for you. My 35 Fountain/Eagle combo goes down the road fine behind a 1/2 ton 4X4 Ext cab, wouldn't try for 75 mph or thousand mile trips, but at modest speeds it works. Haven't towed with the new truck yet, but used a friends last fall for the 62 mile trip home and it worked fine. Drove 55, anticipated stops a little sooner and set the old adjusto hitch up so the trailer sat right, all was fine. You have a nice set up there Bird, even if it is "only a gasser".
Old 01-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
You best go get a boat before you go on spewing like that. Boatless heckler.

5PM,
You take your time there. You can't possibly beat the Senator's "never was boatless" record now anyway. Hopefully you'll take longer than I did and take the monkey off my back side.

Quick Reply: The new Bird Hauler

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.