Notices
Formula

Cutting up ST, resin the exposed edges?

Old 05-25-2007, 09:47 AM
NO WAKE ENFORCER
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by handfulz28
OOOOH...cool. So where's the wood, just where it mounts to the transom? All the stories about it rotting out had me anxious. I think I'm good with drains if I can find them cheap enough. I'm not looking to make big honkin' holes, just enough to get the water out before it gets to the exhaust tips. I'm using a hole saw so if all goes well with the cuts, but I want it sealed up at some point in the future, I'll keep my "hockey pucks" and patch 'em back in...

I'll share pics as I go...
I just drilled mulitple holes on the bottom with a big drill bit, your not going to want to plug them back up so don't waste your money on drains.

just my 1.5 cents
Old 05-25-2007, 10:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by handfulz28
OOOOH...cool. So where's the wood, just where it mounts to the transom? All the stories about it rotting out had me anxious. I think I'm good with drains if I can find them cheap enough. I'm not looking to make big honkin' holes, just enough to get the water out before it gets to the exhaust tips. I'm using a hole saw so if all goes well with the cuts, but I want it sealed up at some point in the future, I'll keep my "hockey pucks" and patch 'em back in...

I'll share pics as I go...
The only silent thunder boxes I have seen that are "rottening out" were because of excessive heat and this started de-lamenting of the fiberglass.

Due to lack of enough water cooling!
Old 05-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by selpel
The only silent thunder boxes I have seen that are "rottening out" were because of excessive heat and this started de-lamenting of the fiberglass.

Due to lack of enough water cooling!

I assume your talking about failure from the cooling water from the motor? I have thought about if you eliminate most the water in the box with the holes if you could have hi temp problems in the box ....
Old 05-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 88formula223
I just drilled mulitple holes on the bottom with a big drill bit, your not going to want to plug them back up so don't waste your money on drains.

just my 1.5 cents
Where did to drill the extra holes? We thought about drilling some near the back so when on plane the water drains out? What do you guys think? Anything back in that area to avoid?
Old 05-27-2007, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I put extra holes in mine to drain the water and new tips to clean up the platformwww.youtube.com/masi242
Old 05-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are 3-1/4" holes in the underside of the ST. The sounds is great, most water runs out the bottom as opposed to the tips. Took 10 minutes na dit was done. Where the holes are cut is FRP only, no wood.
Attached Thumbnails Cutting up ST, resin the exposed edges?-boat-023.jpg   Cutting up ST, resin the exposed edges?-boat-024.jpg   Cutting up ST, resin the exposed edges?-boat-025.jpg  

Old 05-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Registered

Thanks Treads! Did you use a right-angle dill to get under there? I can't get in there where the k-planes are. I want to drill my holes further aft; theory being at speed/on plane the water will pool more there.
Have you removed your baffles? I already did...made a big difference in sound...
Old 05-30-2007, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right angle drill on the outside above the planes. Didn't cut the baffles out. Figured I could always put covers back in the underside if need be. Cut a single set of holes initially, and had some resonance, then added the second set and it seemd to reduce it quite a bit. Still sounds much better than stock. The EMI Thunder exhaust helps too.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When you start to cut the holes run the drill in reverse. Once you get through the gell then you can go forward. Don't spin the bit fast or you will burn up the teeth of the bit fast.

Jon