Cutting up ST, resin the exposed edges? >

Cutting up ST, resin the exposed edges?

Notices
Formula

Cutting up ST, resin the exposed edges?

Old 05-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting up ST, resin the exposed edges?

From all the Silent Thunder mod threads I've read, I don't recall anyone mentioning whether they slapped a little resin on the newly exposed edges? I'm about to cut 3" or 4" holes just underneath each outlet and might install floor drain covers typically found in CC floors (might Krylon the drain covers too; black maybe?). I think it'll make for a cleaner look, and these ST "drains" will hopefully let the exhaust-laiden water out before staining my outlets.
I've already cut the baffles out...
Old 05-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by handfulz28
From all the Silent Thunder mod threads I've read, I don't recall anyone mentioning whether they slapped a little resin on the newly exposed edges? I'm about to cut 3" or 4" holes just underneath each outlet and might install floor drain covers typically found in CC floors (might Krylon the drain covers too; black maybe?). I think it'll make for a cleaner look, and these ST "drains" will hopefully let the exhaust-laiden water out before staining my outlets.
I've already cut the baffles out...
how's it sound with the baffles out ? We cut mine out but haven't run it yet ....m
Old 05-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Registered

Hey Mike! I think it sounds perfect. More rumble/throaty, but not so obnoxious to piss off the neighbors. I've only been in the driver's seat while on plane, and I can't say that it makes more sound if you have your head in the wind. Maybe just a tad bit more if you duck down.
Also, this is with stock exhaust. I've got a set of RevMarine pieces still to install. I think with anything aftermarket, we'll get a little more rumble.
Any thoughts on sealing the cut pieces?
Old 05-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by offthefront
how's it sound with the baffles out ? We cut mine out but haven't run it yet ....m
when i cut mine out last year it was louder and did sound good. The problem i had is the resonance that it made inside the boat. i am hoping i have it solved this time around
Old 05-24-2007, 08:34 PM
Registered

Hey Handfulz28,Years ago we would cut 4 inch deck drains in the bottom of the old style silent thunder boxes. In 1989 we sold 4 357`s w/575`s and speedmaster drives. Would you believe they came w/silent thunder!
We cut the drains in the so they would NOT be shot off the boat at speed!
These will help you with your problem, I think.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If You use a hole saw and tape it good it will be a pretty nice edge ... 4" seems big to me ... my drain holes are enlarged but not much ..... I have thought about adding a row along with the existing ones ....but want to run it first as is ...

what about adding exhaust trim rings ? Might look kewl to have tips too ...the angled cut with the long side toward the Transom ...short .. 1.5"

Last edited by offthefront; 05-24-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:58 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used chromed bronze haws pipes from West with home made aluminum backing plates with my 311 with blower motors. It worked great. Joe Murray
Old 05-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Registered

Alright, so going with the holes is a done deal. I might shop the stores for deck drains to see what diameter they are and cut accordingly.
But still no yea/nea on whether to coat the newly exposed wood. Maybe a hefty coat of 5200 when I put the drains in?
Old 05-25-2007, 06:08 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Alright, so going with the holes is a done deal. I might shop the stores for deck drains to see what diameter they are and cut accordingly.
But still no yea/nea on whether to coat the newly exposed wood. Maybe a hefty coat of 5200 when I put the drains in?
I would go with the deck plate idea, then you can close them when you want. As for sealing anything, where you're going to cut the holes in the bottom of the ST box, there is no wood there, just fairly thick fiberglass. So, there is no real need to seal anything. Install the deck plates and seal them, you'll be all set.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
As for sealing anything, where you're going to cut the holes in the bottom of the ST box, there is no wood there, just fairly thick fiberglass.
OOOOH...cool. So where's the wood, just where it mounts to the transom? All the stories about it rotting out had me anxious. I think I'm good with drains if I can find them cheap enough. I'm not looking to make big honkin' holes, just enough to get the water out before it gets to the exhaust tips. I'm using a hole saw so if all goes well with the cuts, but I want it sealed up at some point in the future, I'll keep my "hockey pucks" and patch 'em back in...

I'll share pics as I go...

Quick Reply: Cutting up ST, resin the exposed edges?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.