Notices
Formula

400SS Problems

Old 06-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400SS Problems

I hate to do this but I have had very bad luck with my new 400SS. I know everyone is busy this time of year but I bought a new boat so I would not have any problems and boy did I get my share. This boat was a "demo" sold as new, It was taken back to the factory in the fall to be gone over so it would be in perfect shape for me in the spring. If this is perfect Formula has some work to do.

I have been patient hoping the factory and dealer coould fix these things quickly but they are not. The Raymarine equipment is the most problematic no one here seems to be able to fix it yet. The smartcraft stuff is beyond the mechanic and many of the problems have not been even looked at yet. I wait for service and phone calls and everything takes a week. I am very frustrated and want to vent a little. Here is a list of the things I have had to deal with since taking delivery:

Delivered 5-4-2007
Bow Thruster not operable - Fixed by owner
Raymarine Radar Pedestal broke - Replaced by dealer
Auto Pilot Not functional - Fixed by owner
Raymarine ST60 repair - update firmware at factory - Sent in by owner – awaiting return
Hot Water Heater leak - Replaced by dealer
Missing Keys -Pending
Corsa Quick and quite not working -Fixed by owner
Engine ECM – fuel pump not shutting down - Replaced by dealer
Wrong Props 25” -Replaced by dealer w/27’s
Raymarine Sirius Weather non-functional - Replaced by dealer
Smartcraft 5000 wont work with gps signal - Pending replacement - repair
Engine ECM Error 81 Back feed on main relay - Pending repair
Head wont flush - Bad fitting elbow on vacuum pump - Problem discovered, awaiting repair

Discovered since 6-1-2007:
Raymarine autopilot heading sensor bad - Awaiting diagnosis
Cracked Head Porcelain - Pending replacement
Raymarine DSM300 Sounder Module locks up - Awaiting diagnosis
Generator won’t start - Awaiting diagnosis Code SCF0
Water pump no volume pressure dies within seconds - Fixed by owner
Starboard out drive grinding - Awaiting diagnosis
Port trim pump slow - Awaiting diagnosis
Missing zipper piece of cockpit cover - Pending replacement
Raymarine E120 display keeps resetting off/on - Awaiting diagnosis

I hope none of you new buyers have to go through this. I dont want to bash anyone but it seems even the mighty Formula can have a off day.

On the flip side the boat runs and feels great and I am very happy with the performance.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Registered

you should be should happy its brand new, it takes all the fun out of it finding all the bugs in the first month!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Registered

Geezum Pete's Ray, You've Been Thru The Wringer And I Empathize With You. A Question; By Describing It As New And Demo, May I Ask What Year Is The Boat And How Many Hours Were On It? And The Factory Was Supposed To Have Gone Over Everything? Man?!! Or Should I Say, Yikes!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

It is a 2007 demo sold as new, it had 28 hours on it when purchased in the fall of 2006 it was manufactured in June 2006.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Registered

My Dad just purchased a 2006 (new) Beaver Motorhome for over 500K. He literally had a list of over 60 items that needed attention. It's not a good thing but they did fix them. That's what counts. My new 382 had some issues but they all were addressed. Some I was able to take care of myself. I still have an issue with one of the bolsters that just came up but Formula is aware and will make it right.

Last edited by dukenrock; 06-12-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Registered

I would suspect based on the input from several members here, as well as my personal dealings, that when the dust settles, you will be very pleased with the factory's attention to your problems. On my 382 that I bought used, I had some MINOR issues come up that were handled very timely by Formula.

Good luck, and keep us posted!!
Corey
Old 06-12-2007, 01:51 AM
Registered

I took delivery of a 2007 400ss May 2007. So far approx.30 hrs and not one problem except for the Raymarine E 120 display that turns off automaticly. Awesome boat
Old 06-12-2007, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

most of these issues are systems not manufactured by Formula. Are most of these issues related to bad parts, or poor installation?
The hull, upholstery, ect are doing well?

From my experience they will take care of you.
I myself would be disappointed if they didn't take care of every last detail, especially at that dollar level of purchase.

Keep us posted.
Membership in the "Formula family" means that we as brethren take interest and pride in your ownership experience as well.

Somebody needs to step up, or we all will be dissatisfied!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:29 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Other then the head pump placement and the hot water heater not being winterized properly, I can say the work Formula has done is fine. The connections of systems and the detail in which they document things are excellent.

The head pump was located in such a way the incomming pipe elbow with the o-ring on it hits a elbow from the generator exhaust. It tweeks the elbow enough to not allow suction. Unfortunatly the whole mounting has to be moved.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by bobd
I took delivery of a 2007 400ss May 2007. So far approx.30 hrs and not one problem except for the Raymarine E 120 display that turns off automaticly. Awesome boat
Mine does the same thing except it then powers back on by itself and the powers off again. I left it go by itself for at least 10 miutes before I hit the breaker to turn it all off.

Ray

Quick Reply: 400SS Problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.