Painted on Graphics removal?

Notices
Formula

Painted on Graphics removal?

Old 06-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted on Graphics removal?

Has any one had luck removing the painted on Graphics from a older Formula? My gel coat looks great but I woul like to remove the painted on graphics and then add something different.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 34 Posts

It can be done but would take alot of work to do. I removed all my graphics off of my 311 before I painted it. I Had four friends help me and it took us about 10 hours just to remove the graphics with DA's and 400 grit paper. If you didn't want to repaint the boat you would have to then go over the boat with 600, 1000, 1200 with buff out the boat.

My only concern would be that if you don't paint the entire boat the gel under the graphics might be a different shade (becasue it has not seen the sun)than the rest of the boat's gel giving you a shadow effect where the graphics use to be.... I don't know if that would ever come out.

hope this helps.
Don
Old 06-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dgduck13
It can be done but would take alot of work to do. I removed all my graphics off of my 311 before I painted it. I Had four friends help me and it took us about 10 hours just to remove the graphics with DA's and 400 grit paper. If you didn't want to repaint the boat you would have to then go over the boat with 600, 1000, 1200 with buff out the boat.

My only concern would be that if you don't paint the entire boat the gel under the graphics might be a different shade (becasue it has not seen the sun)than the rest of the boat's gel giving you a shadow effect where the graphics use to be.... I don't know if that would ever come out.

hope this helps.
Don
I want to repaint different graphics on the boat and would cover most of the area. What about a paint remover that would not harm the gel coat ant ideas?
Old 06-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MOERON
I want to repaint different graphics on the boat and would cover most of the area. What about a paint remover that would not harm the gel coat ant ideas?
Acetone would work without hurting the gel. But, it's gonna take forever.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Registered

Oven cleaner works great just be easy with it that what I used
Old 06-28-2007, 02:39 PM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

Finger nail polish would work too, but why not do it the right way, sand it down, prime it, guide coat it and paint it with speice hecker. my .02
Old 06-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Registered

You could save all the time/effort and just do vinyl...
Old 06-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Registered

Cool

Originally Posted by twinscrew312
Finger nail polish would work too, but why not do it the right way, sand it down, prime it, guide coat it and paint it with speice hecker. my .02
I'll let you practice some of that chit this winter!
Attached Thumbnails Painted on Graphics removal?-picture-009.jpg  
Old 06-29-2007, 02:53 AM
Registered

I know it sounds weird but I agree with BillFormula as Oven Cleaner will work? It is easier then you think. I used to own a detail shop a long time ago & would use it now & then. I would first tape around the grahic's good & then give it a try... You can always sand it if you do not like the results. Good luck with what ever you decide... Dennis
Old 06-29-2007, 06:32 AM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

Im sure I will travis, Im sure I will.

Quick Reply: Painted on Graphics removal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.