Repowering My 292 >

Repowering My 292

Notices
Formula

Repowering My 292

Old 02-15-2008, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I sure don't know of any 292's with that kind of power! I'm convinced that the hull is capable of much higher speeds than 70mph as long as everything is right. Bottom blueprinting may be in order with the speeds you will likely reach. I see from the pictures you have hydraulic steering. Did you have that before the engine swap? If not, you will love it! I bought mine with Latham steering from the factory.

One thing with hydraulic steering is to make sure that it is properly bled (no air in the lines). My old boat (twin outboard tunnel) got air in the lines and it made it a handful to drive. If you grab the tie bar and shake side to side, you should not see the cylinder move in and out more than 1/16 inch (should be very solid!). I assume you are running the props turning out, starboard clockwise looking from the rear. I would make sure the outdrives are running dead straight by measuring the distance between the center of each prop shaft and comparing that measurement with the distance between each nose tip. They should be equal. The props will force the outdrives a tad toe-in when under power, which is ideal.

Hell, you may know all this stuff already, I just want to make sure! Again, good luck and be safe!!

Last edited by 4mulafastech; 02-15-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you kiddin me? I'm just a used car salesman man. I have no idea about this stuff. I'll definately check those mearsurements out. The sea ray had imco steering and the formula had latham so we had to make some mods with the latham. If we'd kept the imco we would have had to cut new holes ect so we made mods to the latham.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Registered

LOL! Keep us updated and come on spring!!
Old 03-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Registered

Well we saw 93.5 on the gps before realizing we were at 17 pounds of boost which is scarey to say the least. These motors were dialed in for high altitude. We're talking 4 to 5000 feet so 10 psi turned into 17psi at sealevel. We need to change pullies and test again in a few weeks. It's also clear the 28 pitch are way too small. I found some labbed 32's for $600 so that's what I'm thinking will work.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

I am so impressed with what you have done so far.Finally someone is putting real horsepower into a hull I always thought could handle it,but no one tried it.I know you will keep us informed,and thanks.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Burnin' Love
Gold Member

Originally Posted by NICKM
Well we saw 93.5 on the gps before realizing we were at 17 pounds of boost which is scarey to say the least. These motors were dialed in for high altitude. We're talking 4 to 5000 feet so 10 psi turned into 17psi at sealevel. We need to change pullies and test again in a few weeks. It's also clear the 28 pitch are way too small. I found some labbed 32's for $600 so that's what I'm thinking will work.
All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2008, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice speed
How was the handling at that speed ?
Old 03-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NICKM
Okay, now you're just teasing us... We want details!!

What were the water conditions and how did it handle at those speeds? Any problems with chine walk? I bet the acceleration is wild. What was the top rpm? Maybe the 28s won't be so small at 10 psi boost. Were you running high octane fuel at 17 psi boost??

93.5 mph... Awesome!!
Old 03-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Registered

Sorry guys. I went to the nascar races today. That was cool!
Anyhow, the test was kind of ridiculous. The computers were programmed by Arizona Speed and Marine at about 6000 ft altitude. So 10 pounds of boost up there became 17 at 1000 ft. One of the motors idled at 2500 rpm's, the throttles wer'nt in sync, our laptops battery took a dump, our inverter for the laptop wouldn't work, there was a wind advisory right about when we were supposed to test........It just didn't go the way we had hoped at all. We decided to bag it when we saw the psi. All I can say is this: These motors have some incredible potentail. We're talking over 100 when things get dialed in. The boat handled sooooooooo well! Just a hint of chine around 80 mph. I agree with magic float. This boat was made for this stuff. I'm going to try like mad to get my sh** together and really dial this thing in in a couple of weeks. Fun stuff!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Registered

Can't tell you how glad I am to hear how well it handles those speeds. It's nice to know the potential!

Thanks again and we look forward to future updates once you get everything dialed in! It would be great if you can get one of your buddies to snap a picture of that bad-boy running at speed. Would love to see the hull attitude approaching 100 mph! Probably looks like it is sitting on cement rather than deep in the water like my slow poke...

Quick Reply: Repowering My 292

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.