We need video?
Old 03-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VIDEOOOOOOOOOO
Old 03-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Registered

I'm on it. We'll have video of the boat going by, vids of the gps hopefully showing over 100mph and vids of my big old grin!
I need some 32's. R&R props in Henderson NV has some 32 labbed props for $600. Not a bad deal.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:10 AM
Burnin' Love
Gold Member

Nick, any updates? We're all waiting patiently.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Registered

Nick - awesome project. Give us an idea of the time to plane with the new power package. Hole-shot has always been the complaint that I hear most often when I talk to 292 owners. I am patiently biding my time to get out of my '01 260SS and into a performance hull. I was leaning towards a 312, but I may be back looking at the 292 based on what you have done.

Thanks for sharing.

Ralph
Old 03-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Registered

You know guys, I went back to the lake and just could not get the motors dialed in. Once we had the air/fuel right, the exhaust temp would skyrocket. So I'm going to meet an expert at mead next Thurs April 10th. He's tuned countless supercharged motors with the mephi computers so we're going to get him involved. We did see over 90mph running 32's though! -Nick
Old 04-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Registered

Well it looks like we finaly have things dialed in. We met a tuner from Fresno CA at Lk Mead Thurday and spent two days getting these motors up to par. We had a very hard time controlling the egt's. The only way to get them down was to throw fuel in there which of coarse causes a slew of new problems. In the end we decided to keep the air/fuel ratio at a reasonable level and live with the slightly unreasonable egt's.
So we saw 93mph @ 5600 rpm's running 32 pitch props with 3 adluts and 2 kids on board and about half a tank. Not too shabby! I didn't want to spend too much time at WOT because the egt's were @ 1626 which isn't the safest but livable as long as I don't stay there long. I think 30's would be the ticket. I'm going to keep an eye out for some.
The boat was pretty squirelly at those speeds. There was some moderate chop and the boat danced quite a bit. I still have the Bennets. I'm sure bigger tabs will help. I also just need to spend some time with the boat at those speeds, mess with the trim and tabs to see what works best. But man what a RUSH!
I'm so happy and relieved to have it running well after all this work! I hop to see some of you at the Desert Storm Poker Run. I'm going to be doing the shootout on Saturday and of coarse the run on Friday. Let me know if any of you are going.

-Nick
Old 04-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Great to hear you got things worked out! K-Planes will definitely settle her down. I know from experience! As for the EGT's, I ran them on some outboards (2-stroke application) and believe that their accuracy can sometimes be in question. I recall depending on ignition timing and the location of the EGT's, the combustion flame can sometimes reach them causing a very high reading which isn't a lean condition at all. Just a thought...

Also, if you haven't already, I recommend doing it the old fashioned way and read a couple spark plugs after a good, hard run. I found this link which explains the art of plug reading pretty good. Also helps you dial in the best heat range plug for the application.

http://members.uia.net/pkelley2/sparkplugreading.html

Of course I have a few questions! Are your props 4-blades and, if so, have you considered 5-blades? From the numbers you are looking at around 18% slip. Are your outdrives standard length or a bit shorter? So when you say squirelly do you mean chine walk? Does it feel like it is starting to air out quite a bit more compared to running 70mph or does it still run pretty flat? Props can have a big effect on handling and you may want to consider bottom blue printing. Not that I want to spend anymore of your money, but have you considered extension boxes?

Anyways... Congratulations on having probably the fastest 292 anywhere!!

Last edited by 4mulafastech; 04-12-2008 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added spark plug stuff...
Old 04-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Registered

We were worried we weren't getting accurate reading from our pyrometers so we hooked up a different egt sensor, a very expensive one called an omega and sure enouph the prometers were way off and they only read up to 1600 degrees.
As far as extension boxes, 5 blade props ect, I'll patiently wait for your check to arrive in the mail and go right out and purchase these items! (Just Kidding).
The drives are standard imco extreme advantage drives. They do hang pretty low on the boat so that may be an issue.
The next purchase is k style type trim tabs. If it's half as good as everyone on this website says they are I'm sure it will make a dramatic difference.
When I say dance I'm talking about chin walking. It didn't do it the last time I tested but the water was calm and there weren't as many people to mess with the weight distribution. Tons of variables!!!! Hard to pinpoint what's doing what without experience. That's what the summers all about!
-Nick
Old 04-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Nick. Enjoy the summer and good luck at the Desert Storm Poker Run. Keep us posted. Your 292 is going to suprise a lot of people!
Dave

Quick Reply: Repowering My 292

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.