Notices
Formula

First Boat-310 or 350SS?

Old 12-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Boat-310 or 350SS?

Hello all:

This will be my first Boat. I will store the boat on a lift at my home at the Jersey Shore.

I am having a hard time deciding on getting the new 31 or 35' boat.

I just signed a deal for the 310SS (which I can change) but I have been reading that the 6.2 motors are not a good motor for this boat and that I should be getting the 496 motors.

The dealer told me that it is not a good idea to get the 496 motors because they are too big for the engine compartment and they will not make a significant difference.

So really I have 2 questions. SInce I plan to hire an experienced captain for the first season to assist and train me with the boat, will a 35Ft boat be ok to do or should I stick with the 31Ft

Second question is, is it true that the 6.2 motors are not good for the 31Ft SS boat and it is a "must" to go with the 496 motors.

Thanks to all who have some ideas for me.

JOE
Old 12-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on all that you are looking to get out of it. The fact that your going with an SS probably means your looking for a great day boat with a little bit more performance then a PC. Plenty of room for family/friends, the 6.2's will do fine then. They will get you to where you want to go, I'm guessing a top speed in the 50's with a cruising speed in the low 30's. The 6.2's will def. be better on fuel then the 496's. You'll have a lot more room in the engine compartment to keep that bilge clean too.

My father has a 31 PC with 6.2's, he loves the boat, I'm sure he would like to go a bit faster but that's not why he got that boat. His intentions were that it's meant for a summer get away and that's exactly what he uses it for. No major problems with the 6.2's though whatsoever, keep them serviced properly and they'll be fine.

Where would you be boating in Jersey?
Old 12-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Registered

I rafted up with a guy on Lake Cumberland who had just taken delivery of a 310ss with 6.2's. The first time, he said he hadn't ran it up yet as it was brand new. Later in the year I talked to him, and it topped out at just under 50. He was a little disappointed.
FWIW, that is the boat I fell in love with at the boat show last winter and pushed me over the edge to buy something this year. It is wayyy out of my range, so could only dream of it, but if I was making the debate you are, I would go for a 330 sunsport and opt for the mercruiser axius drvie controls. Sure would help out a first time boater.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Splitdecision271
Depends on all that you are looking to get out of it. The fact that your going with an SS probably means your looking for a great day boat with a little bit more performance then a PC. Plenty of room for family/friends, the 6.2's will do fine then. They will get you to where you want to go, I'm guessing a top speed in the 50's with a cruising speed in the low 30's. The 6.2's will def. be better on fuel then the 496's. You'll have a lot more room in the engine compartment to keep that bilge clean too.

My father has a 31 PC with 6.2's, he loves the boat, I'm sure he would like to go a bit faster but that's not why he got that boat. His intentions were that it's meant for a summer get away and that's exactly what he uses it for. No major problems with the 6.2's though whatsoever, keep them serviced properly and they'll be fine.

Where would you be boating in Jersey?
Thanks. My home is in Forked River. I posted in the general boating forum as well and have ben geting alot of good responses.
THANKS
Old 12-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ImaPoser
I rafted up with a guy on Lake Cumberland who had just taken delivery of a 310ss with 6.2's. The first time, he said he hadn't ran it up yet as it was brand new. Later in the year I talked to him, and it topped out at just under 50. He was a little disappointed.
FWIW, that is the boat I fell in love with at the boat show last winter and pushed me over the edge to buy something this year. It is wayyy out of my range, so could only dream of it, but if I was making the debate you are, I would go for a 330 sunsport and opt for the mercruiser axius drvie controls. Sure would help out a first time boater.
Thanks man.
THe 330 has the older style look. I really like the new modern look of the 310 and the 350SS boats.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cmcjo
Thanks man.
THe 330 has the older style look. I really like the new modern look of the 310 and the 350SS boats.
Well then it sounds like the 350ss with 496's it is then.

oh yeah, get the axius drive system, and the gen set too. In three years when you want to sell it and don't care about the depreciation, it will be my dream used boat.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Registered

Im glad you mentioned the Axius system. Its a 20K+ option but do you know the benefits of it? The dealer told me the on the 310 the digital throttle is much trickier to manuver especially when docking. HE said it is better to get the regular seperate forward/reverse lever?
What is your opinion. THANKS
Old 12-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cmcjo
Im glad you mentioned the Axius system. Its a 20K+ option but do you know the benefits of it? The dealer told me the on the 310 the digital throttle is much trickier to manuver especially when docking. HE said it is better to get the regular seperate forward/reverse lever?
What is your opinion. THANKS

You won't need that captain but one or two times with the axius system.
Here's a link that will show you, on a formula even.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ImaPoser
You won't need that captain but one or two times with the axius system.
Here's a link that will show you, on a formula even.
WOW! That is nice. Thanks for that link.
ANother reason to go with the 350.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If you go with the 35, you better get your order in very soon. I was at the factory about a month ago and all of the 35 orders were sold out until summer.

Love the 35SS by the way.

Quick Reply: First Boat-310 or 350SS?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.