303 w/ blackhawks

Notices
Formula

303 w/ blackhawks

Old 01-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 303 w/ blackhawks

guys I am looking at a 93 303 with 502's and black hawks. First off I have heard black hawks are tough around the dock. they do not run slow. what is the word? also who makes them and are parts available? and most importantly how does the 303 run? I assume it is basically a 292. The boat has Kplanes so I assume it moves. Any ideas on top end and do black hawks crusie well?
thanks

Oh yeah anyone interested in a real 242sr1 twins 350 mags factory corvette package. bolsters and a factory windscrean?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Burnin' Love
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had limited experience with a Blackhawk on my 25 ft. Eliminator, and it did idle at a much higher speed which would make it more of a problem around the docks. It is made by Mercury, and while parts are at a limiited supply, I've been told many of the parts in the current Merc dual prop set up will work in the Blackhawk.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't tell you anything about the Blackhawks, but I did own a 1993 303 with 502 mags (carbed) and it ran 72mph with labbed 3 blade props (can't remember the pitch, but I think I have it somewhere). It was a great boat!

Dave
Old 01-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by twin242ls
Oh yeah anyone interested in a real 242sr1 twins 350 mags factory corvette package. bolsters and a factory windscrean?
That sounds like a cool rig. Any pics?
Old 01-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Burnin' Love
Gold Member

I'd be curious to know how that set up works on that boat sense the Blackhawk creates a much shorter 'X' dimension.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

no pics of the interior now but here is one at mooring
Old 01-03-2008, 07:27 AM
Registered

BH drives are strange. They need a hull with natural bow lift to work at all. I run one on my cat and it definately improves top end but it looses in cruise speed due to needing the forward speed to raise the bow and settle the stern. Prop slip at 50 mph is near 25% but only 9% at 80 plus mph. It does idle very fast, 9mph when it gets settled. Docking and trailering are fun. They also shift very hard because all the prop in the water off plane. Harder to get to plane due to prop loading keeping revs down too. There is absolutely no, nada, zippo cavitation until the blades break the surface. I had to airate my drive to solve that issue. Much tougher than a bravo at this point. I averaged 20 to 30 hrs per bravo upper gear set. So far, 160 hrs on the BH drive.

Last edited by Airpacker; 01-03-2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 542 Posts

lapseofreason here on OSO had them on a Scarab P-29 behind a pair of 350 Mags. They were made by Mercury. Some time ago, someone stumbled upon a pallet of them, and sold them all on eBay. There are some parts still available. Some are same parts as Bravo drives, but very many. I would check with Marc at www.bammarine.com before I purchased, so get his opinion on parts availability for the future.

True, they are FAST around the docks. There are not many prop options for them to buy new, so be VERY careful with your props. They never really made many pitches for the props, either.

lapseofreason said he blew several of them going into reverse of all things. I don't think the gear floors are all that strong. The more torque you have, I think the more issues you are likely to have.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by twin242ls
guys I am looking at a 93 303 with 502's and black hawks. First off I have heard black hawks are tough around the dock. they do not run slow. what is the word? also who makes them and are parts available? and most importantly how does the 303 run? I assume it is basically a 292. The boat has Kplanes so I assume it moves. Any ideas on top end and do black hawks crusie well?
thanks

I may be interested in your 242ls , I ve been looking for a clean one send me some pics to my reg e mail and let me know how much your looking to get out of it [email protected] thanks
Old 01-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Last time I was over on the other side of the lake in Wisconsin, I stumbled upon a guy who had a half a dozen Black Hawks Still in their boxes on the shelf. He was a procharger dealer, and had a set of Black Hawks on a 26 Nova with a pair of procharged 438 SBC's. He seemed to like his, but also complained about the slip, esp. while planing.

Quick Reply: 303 w/ blackhawks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.